Conservation of momentum and energy problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing the amount of kinetic energy that ends up in the shoulder of a person who forgets to hold their gun against their shoulder and is hit by the recoil. The calculation involves using conservation of momentum and energy to determine the velocity of the person and the gun after the impact. It is important to note that energy is lost during the collision and this must be taken into account in the calculation.
cheez
You forget to hold your gun against your shoulder and it recoils into you. How much Joules of kinetic energy end up in your shoulder? Assume you and the gun move together in the end.
masses: You=90 kg, gun=10kg, bullet= 0.0085kg
velocity of the bullet = 87m/s

I read the answer of it, but I don't get why the answer is that.
And the answer is

1/2 M gun x (M bullet * V bullet / M gun)^2
- 1/2 M gun+you x (M bullet * V bullet/ M gun+you) ^2thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

After the impact, energy is conserved (you can't assume conservation during the impact though).

Päällikkö said:
What have you tried?

After the impact, energy is conserved (you can't assume conservation during the impact though).

Before I checked the answer, I calculated the recoil speed of the gun. And I set the equation using conservation of momentum to find the velocity of "you+gun".
i.e (M bullet * V bullet / M gun) * M gun = M you+gun V you+gun

But I don't know why the final answer is the Kinetic energy from the gun after the bullet is fired minus the Kinetic energy of "you+gun" after the impact.

By conservation of momentum, you have calculated the the momentum of the system directly after the after this inelastic impact. By looking at the kinetic energy before & after the collision you will notice that energy is lost somewhere; ask yourself where this energy has gone.

You also have to assume that no energy is lost during the time it take the rifle to you.

Regards,
Sam

1. What is conservation of momentum and energy?

The conservation of momentum and energy is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum and energy of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that in any interaction or process, the total amount of momentum and energy at the beginning will be equal to the total amount at the end, even if there are changes in the individual components.

2. Why is conservation of momentum and energy important?

The conservation of momentum and energy is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It is a fundamental principle that is used in various fields such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. It also allows us to analyze and solve problems involving collisions, explosions, and other types of interactions.

3. How is conservation of momentum and energy related?

The conservation of momentum and energy are closely related because they are both properties of a closed system. In any physical process, both momentum and energy must be conserved at the same time. This is because energy can be transferred from one form to another, but it cannot be created or destroyed. Similarly, momentum can be transferred between objects, but the total amount within the system remains constant.

4. Can conservation of momentum and energy be violated?

No, the conservation of momentum and energy is a fundamental law of physics that has been observed and tested in countless experiments. In any closed system, these principles hold true. However, in certain cases where the system is not completely closed, such as in nuclear reactions or when considering relativistic effects, the conservation laws may need to be modified.

5. How is conservation of momentum and energy applied in real-world situations?

The conservation of momentum and energy has numerous applications in real-world situations. It is used in the design of vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, to ensure they have enough momentum and energy to operate efficiently. It is also crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of natural phenomena, such as the movement of planets and the behavior of fluids. Additionally, the conservation laws are applied in industries such as renewable energy, where the efficient use and conversion of energy is essential.