Conservation of momentum and Moment of Inertia

In summary, the conversation is about a person named Roy seeking help to understand how to use the conservation of momentum equation by substituting moment of inertia for mass in order to determine the speed of a ball and bat swing. Some suggestions were given for resources to help understand the concept of angular momentum, and Roy expressed gratitude for the direction and clarified that he is eager to learn and not looking for someone to do the work for him.
Pbaseball
Hello everyone,
I'm needing help understanding how to take the conservation of momentum equation and substitute moment of inertia inplace of mass in the equation. I understand this is a linear equation and I'm trying to incorporate angular momentum. I just want to determine the speed of the ball and bat swing using the moi of the baseball bat. Can someone help me get started? Thanks --Roy

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Roy, :welcome:

You could start off by stating a clear case to begin with. Not clear at all what you are looking at: 'the equation' is mentioned but reader has no idea. Cold you be a bit more elaborate ?

Last edited by a moderator:
CWatters said:
Perhaps start by understanding that the ball has angular momentum..

"Ball hits rod angular momentum example"
https://www.khanacademy.org/science...rial/v/ball-hits-rod-angular-momentum-example

Sweet. Thanks for the direction.
If you read in my introduction thread I'm ready to learn and teach myself but I just need some direction. I'm not looking for you guys/gals to do this for me. Thanks again. Any help is appreciated.

Related to Conservation of momentum and Moment of Inertia

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any internal or external forces acting on the system.

2. How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In collisions, momentum is conserved through the exchange of momentum between objects involved in the collision. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

3. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is calculated by taking into account the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass about its axis of rotation.

4. How does moment of inertia affect rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of an object determines how easily it can be rotated. Objects with a larger moment of inertia require more torque to achieve the same angular acceleration as objects with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. How is conservation of momentum related to moment of inertia?

Conservation of momentum and moment of inertia are related in that both principles are based on the idea of preserving a physical quantity. Conservation of momentum ensures that the total momentum of a system remains constant, while moment of inertia ensures that an object's resistance to rotational motion remains constant.