1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Momentum Experiment

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Design an experiment to determine if momentum is conserved in an explosion interaction using an air track. I need to come up with the procedure for this experiment.

2. Relevant equations
    Not applicable.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have decided to use two gliders that are both initially attached, but glide off in opposite directions after the "explosion". There are two photogates on either side of the explosive, which will measure the time it takes for the gliders to pass through. The problem I'm having is determining what I will use to cause the explosion, making the gliders glide off in opposite directions.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2008 #2
    Do you think it would be a good idea if I used a spring to simulate the explosion? Holding the gliders, I could compress a spring between them and then let go of the gliders at the same time. This would make them both glide off in opposite directions with the same velocity.
  4. Sep 12, 2008 #3
    Does anyone agree or have more suggestions?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?