Conservation of Momentum Question Involving Two-Dimensions

In summary: It is true that the mass of the fragments will be small compared to the total mass of the grenade, but that is not what "negligible" means in this context.What he is trying to say is that the mass of the grenade is not relevant to the calculations, as it will cancel out in the end. So you can choose any value for the mass and get the same result. In this case, using a mass of 1 kg is a convenient choice since it makes the calculations simpler.
omgbeandip

Homework Statement

A grenade is rolling due west at 0.954m/s along a floor when it explodes into three pieces of equal mass. The first piece moves at 3.6m/s, 20° [N of W]. The second travels at 5.8m/s, 62° [S of W]. Calculate the velocity of the third piece.

Homework Equations

P=mv
PBefore=Pafter
a^2 + b^2= c^2
Tan^-1 to find angle

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is in the attached image. I was curious if my masses were correct. Since they are all equal, I inputted 1 as my before component, and 1/3 for the 3 after components. Is this correct? And, are my calculations correct as well?[/B]

Attachments

• Scan.jpeg
    Scan.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 584
Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding the masses: You could simply assume that the grenade has a total mass ##m##, which will make the parts have mass ##m/3##. You will notice that ##m## cancels out of the final answer and thus that it does not matter what you chose for ##m##. In particular, ##m = 1\,\rm kg## should give the correct answer just as well as any other mass.

omgbeandip said:

Homework Statement

A grenade is rolling due west at 0.954m/s along a floor when it explodes into three pieces of equal mass. The first piece moves at 3.6m/s, 20° [N of W]. The second travels at 5.8m/s, 62° [S of W]. Calculate the velocity of the third piece.

Homework Equations

P=mv
PBefore=Pafter
a^2 + b^2= c^2
Tan^-1 to find angle

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is in the attached image. I was curious if my masses were correct. Since they are all equal, I inputted 1 as my before component, and 1/3 for the 3 after components. Is this correct? And, are my calculations correct as well?[/B]
I don't think you should put the mass as 1/3 since that would create the assumption that the original mass is 1kg. Just look at the velocities. When they tell you that the masses are equal, it implies that the mass is negligible, so do the exact same calculations you have done already and simply remove the (1/3).

WhosUrDaddy said:
When they tell you that the masses are equal, it implies that the mass is negligible, so do the exact same calculations you have done already and simply remove the (1/3).
There is no implication of the sort. "Negligible" mathematically means "very small" (i.e. can be considered zero) by comparison with something else. There is no such comparison here as the three fragments have the same mass.

1. What is the definition of conservation of momentum in two dimensions?

The conservation of momentum in two dimensions refers to the principle that the total momentum of a system remains constant when there are no external forces acting on it in the horizontal and vertical directions.

2. How is the conservation of momentum applied in two dimensions?

In two-dimensional systems, the conservation of momentum is applied by using vector addition and subtraction to determine the total momentum in each direction before and after a collision or interaction. The total momentum in both directions must remain the same in order to satisfy the conservation of momentum.

3. What are some real-life examples of conservation of momentum in two dimensions?

Some examples of conservation of momentum in two dimensions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, a soccer ball being kicked at an angle, and a car crash where the cars are moving in different directions.

4. Does the conservation of momentum only apply to objects moving in a straight line?

No, the conservation of momentum applies to all types of motion, including curved or circular motion. As long as there are no external forces acting on the system, the total momentum in each direction will remain constant.

5. How does the conservation of momentum in two dimensions relate to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

The conservation of momentum in two dimensions is closely related to Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects collide, the total momentum in each direction before and after the collision must be equal due to the equal and opposite forces acting on each object.