1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Momentum Question Involving Two-Dimensions

1. Sep 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A grenade is rolling due west at 0.954m/s along a floor when it explodes into three pieces of equal mass. The first piece moves at 3.6m/s, 20° [N of W]. The second travels at 5.8m/s, 62° [S of W]. Calculate the velocity of the third piece.

2. Relevant equations
    P=mv
    PBefore=Pafter
    a^2 + b^2= c^2
    Tan^-1 to find angle

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt is in the attached image. I was curious if my masses were correct. Since they are all equal, I inputted 1 as my before component, and 1/3 for the 3 after components. Is this correct? And, are my calculations correct as well?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Regarding the masses: You could simply assume that the grenade has a total mass ##m##, which will make the parts have mass ##m/3##. You will notice that ##m## cancels out of the final answer and thus that it does not matter what you chose for ##m##. In particular, ##m = 1\,\rm kg## should give the correct answer just as well as any other mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted