Conservative field over a domain

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the given vector field is conservative and finding the potential in a specific domain. The person attempts to solve the problem and raises a question about the domain, which is a disk centered at (-5,0) with a radius of 3. The discussion concludes that the field is conservative over the entire domain as the line y=x does not intersect it.
manenbu

Homework Statement

prove that:
[tex]\vec{F} = \frac{-y^2}{(x-y)^2}\vec{i} + \frac{x^2}{(x-y)^2}\vec{j}[/tex]
is a conservative field, and find the potential in the domain:
[tex]D: (x+5)^2 + y^2 \leq 9[/tex]

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well,
[tex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} = \frac{-2xy}{(x-y)^3}[/tex]
So is it conservative.
Also, the potential is:
[tex]f = \frac{xy}{x-y}[/tex]
which is correct according to my answer.

My question is - where does the domain come in? Why do I have it? I didn't use it while solving the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your field, the potential, and the partials Py and Qx are undefined on the line y = x. Your domain D is a disk of radius 3, centered at (-5, 0). Does the line y = x intersect D? If not, your field is conservative over all of D. If so, the field is not conservative over all of D.

It doesnt't intersect.
ok, thanks.

Related to Conservative field over a domain

1. What is a conservative field over a domain?

A conservative field over a domain refers to a vector field in which the line integral of the field along any closed path is equal to zero. This means that the value of the field at any point is only dependent on the endpoints of the path, and not the path itself.

2. How is a conservative field over a domain different from a non-conservative field?

A non-conservative field does not satisfy the property mentioned in the previous answer. This means that the value of the field at a point is dependent on the path taken to reach that point. In other words, the line integral along a closed path is not equal to zero for a non-conservative field.

3. What is a domain in relation to conservative fields?

In the context of conservative fields, a domain refers to a region in which the field is defined and the properties of a conservative field hold. This could be a two-dimensional or three-dimensional region, depending on the specific field being considered.

4. How are conservative fields used in physics and engineering?

Conservative fields are used in various areas of physics and engineering, including electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics. They are particularly useful in calculating the work done by a force or the flow of energy in a system.

5. What is the significance of conservative fields in mathematics?

In mathematics, conservative fields are important because they have many useful properties and allow for simpler calculations. They are also closely related to concepts such as gradients, potential energy, and path independence, which have applications in various branches of mathematics.