Conservative force in a time-dependent potential

In summary, relativistic dynamics is a generalization of classical dynamics that has to be developed carefully.
Happiness
A conservative force is one that is derivable from a potential energy function ##V##. If ##V## is time-dependent, is it still possible to have a conservative force or work done such that the work done is only dependent on the initial state ##(x_i, y_i, z_i, t_i)## and final state ##(x_f, y_f, z_f, t_f)## of the particle and independent of the trajectory taken?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, because in that case the work-energy theorem turns out to be
$$\frac{m}{2} \vec{v}(t)^2+\text{const}=\int \mathrm{d} t \vec{F}(\vec{x},t) \cdot \vec{v}=-\int \mathrm{d} t \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla} U(\vec{x},t).$$
Now
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} U(\vec{x},t)=\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla} U(\vec{x},t) + \partial_t U(\vec{x},t),$$
i.e., the integrand on the right-hand side of the work-energy theorem is not a total time derivative as in the case, when ##U## is not explicitly time-dependent.

This is a consequence of Noether's theorem: A system is symmetric under time translations if and only if the Lagrangian is not explicitly time dependent modulo a total time derivative of a function ##\Omega(q,t)##.

vanhees71 said:
No, because in that case the work-energy theorem turns out to be
$$\frac{m}{2} \vec{v}(t)^2+\text{const}=\int \mathrm{d} t \vec{F}(\vec{x},t) \cdot \vec{v}=-\int \mathrm{d} t \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla} U(\vec{x},t).$$
Now
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} U(\vec{x},t)=\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla} U(\vec{x},t) + \partial_t U(\vec{x},t),$$
i.e., the integrand on the right-hand side of the work-energy theorem is not a total time derivative as in the case, when ##U## is not explicitly time-dependent.

This is a consequence of Noether's theorem: A system is symmetric under time translations if and only if the Lagrangian is not explicitly time dependent modulo a total time derivative of a function ##\Omega(q,t)##.

How about we treat time as the fourth spatial dimension? Where ##\vec{v}## becomes a four-dimensional vector. Then
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} U(\vec{x},t)=\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla} U(\vec{x},t)$$
So the integrand on the right-hand side of the work-energy theorem becomes a total time derivative.

What's wrong with this?

Well, that comes close to relativistic dynamics in terms of a world parameter. That generalized dynamics has to be developed carefully. For a good introduction (although unfortunately full of typos even in the math) see

Barut, Electrodynamics and classical theory of particles and fields, Dover

Related to Conservative force in a time-dependent potential

What is a conservative force in a time-dependent potential?

A conservative force in a time-dependent potential is a force that depends on both the position of an object and the time. This means that the force acting on the object can change over time and is not constant.

What is the difference between a conservative force and a non-conservative force?

A conservative force is one that conserves mechanical energy, meaning that the total energy of a system remains constant. Non-conservative forces, on the other hand, can change the total energy of a system by doing work on it.

What are some examples of conservative forces in a time-dependent potential?

Some examples of conservative forces in a time-dependent potential include gravitational forces, magnetic forces, and electric forces. These forces can vary in strength and direction depending on the position and time, but they do not change the total energy of a system.

How are conservative forces related to potential energy?

Conservative forces are related to potential energy because they can be described by a potential energy function. The negative gradient of this function gives the conservative force at any given point in space and time.

What is the significance of conservative forces in physics?

Conservative forces play a crucial role in many physical systems, as they allow for the conservation of energy. This principle is fundamental in understanding the behavior of particles and systems in motion. Additionally, conservative forces can be used to solve problems in mechanics, electromagnetism, and other fields of physics.