Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservative force in a time-dependent potential

1. Feb 29, 2016 #1
    A conservative force is one that is derivable from a potential energy function ##V##. If ##V## is time-dependent, is it still possible to have a conservative force or work done such that the work done is only dependent on the initial state ##(x_i, y_i, z_i, t_i)## and final state ##(x_f, y_f, z_f, t_f)## of the particle and independent of the trajectory taken?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

No, because in that case the work-energy theorem turns out to be
    $$\frac{m}{2} \vec{v}(t)^2+\text{const}=\int \mathrm{d} t \vec{F}(\vec{x},t) \cdot \vec{v}=-\int \mathrm{d} t \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla} U(\vec{x},t).$$
    Now
    $$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} U(\vec{x},t)=\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla} U(\vec{x},t) + \partial_t U(\vec{x},t),$$
    i.e., the integrand on the right-hand side of the work-energy theorem is not a total time derivative as in the case, when ##U## is not explicitly time-dependent.

This is a consequence of Noether's theorem: A system is symmetric under time translations if and only if the Lagrangian is not explicitly time dependent modulo a total time derivative of a function ##\Omega(q,t)##.

4. Feb 29, 2016 #3
    How about we treat time as the fourth spatial dimension? Where ##\vec{v}## becomes a four-dimensional vector. Then
    $$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} U(\vec{x},t)=\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla} U(\vec{x},t)$$
    So the integrand on the right-hand side of the work-energy theorem becomes a total time derivative.

What's wrong with this?

5. Feb 29, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, that comes close to relativistic dynamics in terms of a world parameter. That generalized dynamics has to be developed carefully. For a good introduction (although unfortunately full of typos even in the math) see

Barut, Electrodynamics and classical theory of particles and fields, Dover

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook