1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Consider the lines & find an equation of a plane [Cal III]

1. Feb 7, 2015 #1
    Consider the Lines Below:

r
    = <2, 3, 0> + t<3, -3, 1>

r = <5, 0, 1> + s<-3, 3, 0>

A.) Find the point at which the given lines intersect.
    B.) Find an equation of the plane that contains these lines.

2. Relevant equations

The vector equation of a line is given by r = r0 - tv

The equation of a plane is given by N . (r - r0)

3. The attempt at a solution

I worked everything to the best of my ability but I ended up getting an equation of a line as opposed to the equation of a plane... Did I do something wrong? Here is a picture of my work:

jtnnCwd.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see anything wrong with your work. The two lines intersect at (5, 0, 1) (I checked), and the equation of the plane is indeed x + y = 5. In three dimensions this is a plane.

4. Feb 7, 2015 #3
    Thank you so much. I think I figured out the error in my way of thinking. For some reason I was thinking of my answer as looking like a cube in R3. But since x + y = 5 is a line in R2, I could just scale the Z value infinitely in either direction in R3, as long as I'm restricted to that line. Thus, I would have a plane. Interesting. Thanks so much for your response!!!!

5. Feb 7, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You say " I ended up getting an equation of a line" but that is not true. A line cannot be written as a single equation in 3 dimensions. What you have is a plane in which the coefficient of z happens to be 0. That simply means that the plane is parallel to the z-axis. You can think of it as the line defined by x+ y= 5 in the xy-plane extended parallel to the z-axis.

6. Feb 8, 2015 #5
    Yes, you are absolutely right. Having 0 as the coefficient of Z is what scared me. My professor hadn't covered what that meant very well, so I was confused. Thank you very much for your input.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted