Positioning Cursor in Visual C++ Console Program - Help Needed

In summary, the conversation is about the use of the "gotoxy" function in Visual C++. The speaker mentions that they generally use gotoxy to position the cursor in a console program, but it is not a standard or Windows library function. Instead, they suggest using SetCursorPosition and provide a link to more Win32 console functions.
jerkjames
I want to do this (HANDLE hConsole = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);

if ( hConsole != INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE )
{
// do stuff...
}
) In visual c++, I generally use gotoxy() to position the http://www.seopromolinks.com/business_continuityplan.asp" ursor in a console program. Help needed

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
There is no "gotoxy" function either in the standard library or the Windows library. This was a Borland library function from the days of DOS that was ported to a few platforms. Use SetCursorPosition instead:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682073.aspx

More Win32 console functions are listed here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms686025.aspx

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with positioning the cursor in your Visual C++ console program. There are a few different ways to achieve this, so I'll go through a couple of options.

One way to position the cursor is by using the SetConsoleCursorPosition function. This function takes in a HANDLE to the console screen buffer, which you can obtain by using GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE) as you mentioned in your code snippet. Then, you can use the COORD structure to specify the X and Y coordinates where you want the cursor to be placed. For example:

// Obtain handle to console screen buffer
HANDLE hConsole = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);

// Specify coordinates for cursor placement
COORD cursorPosition;
cursorPosition.X = 10; // X coordinate
cursorPosition.Y = 5; // Y coordinate

// Set cursor position
SetConsoleCursorPosition(hConsole, cursorPosition);

Another option is to use the gotoxy() function that you mentioned. This function is not part of the standard C++ library, but it is commonly used in Visual C++ for console programs. It takes in two parameters, the X and Y coordinates, and uses the SetConsoleCursorPosition function internally to position the cursor. Here's an example of how you could use it:

// Define gotoxy function
void gotoxy(int x, int y) {
COORD cursorPosition;
cursorPosition.X = x;
cursorPosition.Y = y;
SetConsoleCursorPosition(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), cursorPosition);
}

// Call gotoxy to position cursor at (10, 5)
gotoxy(10, 5);

I hope this helps you with positioning the cursor in your program. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Best of luck with your project!

1. How do I position the cursor in a Visual C++ console program?

To position the cursor in a Visual C++ console program, you can use the SetConsoleCursorPosition function. This function takes in the console handle and the coordinates of the desired cursor position as parameters. You can also use the COORD structure to specify the coordinates.

2. Can I move the cursor to a specific line and column in the console?

Yes, you can move the cursor to a specific line and column in the console by using the SetConsoleCursorPosition function. You just need to specify the desired line and column coordinates as parameters.

3. How do I clear the console screen in a Visual C++ console program?

To clear the console screen in a Visual C++ console program, you can use the system("cls") command. This command clears the console screen by executing the "cls" command in the command prompt.

4. What is the purpose of positioning the cursor in a console program?

Positioning the cursor in a console program allows you to control where the user's input will be displayed and where your program's output will be printed. This can be useful for creating more organized and user-friendly console programs.

5. Are there any alternative methods for positioning the cursor in a Visual C++ console program?

Yes, there are alternative methods for positioning the cursor in a Visual C++ console program. You can also use the gotoxy function or the SetConsoleCursorInfo function. Additionally, some libraries and frameworks may have their own functions for cursor positioning.