1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constants Of Motion

1. Nov 27, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Constants Of Motion

A Particle of mass m moves in three dimensions under the action of a conservative force with potential energy V(r).Using the sperical coordinates r, [tex]\theta[/tex],[tex]\phi[/tex], obtain the hamiltonian function for the system.
    Show that [tex]P_{\phi}[/tex] , [tex]\frac{P^{2}_{r}}{2m}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{P^{2}_{\phi}}{2mr^{2}sin^{2}\theta}[/tex] + V(r) and [tex]P^{2}_{\theta}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{P^{2}_{\phi}}{sin^{2}\theta}[/tex] are constants of motion.

I found the hamiltonian, H = [tex]\frac{P^{2}_{r}}{2m}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{P^{2}_{\theta}}{2mr^{2}}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{P^{2}_{\phi}}{2mr^{2}sin^{2}\theta}[/tex] + V(r).

Since [tex]\phi[/tex] is cyclic we have [tex]P_{\phi}^{'}[/tex]=0 or [tex]P_{\phi}[/tex] is a constant of motion. I dont have much idea about the rest. Do u people have any suggestions? Thanks in advance..
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Hi, abeen,

Welcome to PF.

From the way you phrased your questions, it sounds like you are seeking advice for how to attack a homework problem. If so, there's a special forum at PF for that (look up above for the "sticky"). If not, we can help you right here.
  4. Nov 27, 2007 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: Poisson bracket
  5. Nov 27, 2007 #4
    Thanks.Can you please give me a brief account of the methods for identifying a constant of motion.
  6. Nov 27, 2007 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That was the hint. If F(p,q) is a constant of motion and H is the hamiltonian, what can you conclude about {H,F} ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?