Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Constants Of Motion

1. Nov 27, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Constants Of Motion

A Particle of mass m moves in three dimensions under the action of a conservative force with potential energy V(r).Using the sperical coordinates r, [tex]\theta[/tex],[tex]\phi[/tex], obtain the hamiltonian function for the system.
    Show that [tex]P_{\phi}[/tex] , [tex]\frac{P^{2}_{r}}{2m}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{P^{2}_{\phi}}{2mr^{2}sin^{2}\theta}[/tex] + V(r) and [tex]P^{2}_{\theta}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{P^{2}_{\phi}}{sin^{2}\theta}[/tex] are constants of motion.

I found the hamiltonian, H = [tex]\frac{P^{2}_{r}}{2m}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{P^{2}_{\theta}}{2mr^{2}}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{P^{2}_{\phi}}{2mr^{2}sin^{2}\theta}[/tex] + V(r).

Since [tex]\phi[/tex] is cyclic we have [tex]P_{\phi}^{'}[/tex]=0 or [tex]P_{\phi}[/tex] is a constant of motion. I dont have much idea about the rest. Do u people have any suggestions? Thanks in advance..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Hi, abeen,

Welcome to PF.

From the way you phrased your questions, it sounds like you are seeking advice for how to attack a homework problem. If so, there's a special forum at PF for that (look up above for the "sticky"). If not, we can help you right here.

4. Nov 27, 2007 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: Poisson bracket

5. Nov 27, 2007 #4
    Thanks.Can you please give me a brief account of the methods for identifying a constant of motion.

6. Nov 27, 2007 #5

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That was the hint. If F(p,q) is a constant of motion and H is the hamiltonian, what can you conclude about {H,F} ?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook