Constructing circuit from Boolean expression

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a circuit from a Boolean expression and the proper way to evaluate it. The speaker starts from the right side of the expression and works their way to the left, using OR and AND gates as well as NOT gates. They also mention a disclaimer about this type of discussion not being appropriate for this forum.
Jim01
I must construct a circuit from the following Boolean expression:

P v (~P ^ ~Q)

From my understanding I am supposed to go from right to left, working on the outermost part of the expression to the innermost part. I read this as saying even though the outermost part of the expression is on the right, that is where I begin. Is this correct? I come up with one OR gate, one AND gate and two NOT gates. Here is what I came up with:

P goes into a NOT and comes out ~P. ~P goes into AND and comes out ~P ^ Q.
P goes into OR and comes out P v (~P ^ ~Q)

Q goes into NOT and comes out ~Q. ~Q goes into AND and comes out ~P ^ Q.

~P ^ Q goes into OR and comes out P v (~P ^ ~Q)

Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of a system where you do not evaluate inside of parentheses first

phinds said:
I've never heard of a system where you do not evaluate inside of parentheses first

Well that's definitely always been the case in the past but I quoted from the book verbatim. "Go from the right side of the diagram to the left, working from the outermost part of the expression to the innermost part."

The example used was (~P ^ Q) v ~Q

In the above case they began with the v first.

I just noticed this disclaimer: "This forum is not for homework or any textbook-style questions." I did not see this before. I will post my question in the appropriate section. Please pardon my mistake.

I cannot confirm if you are on the right track without seeing the specific circuit you have constructed. However, your approach of using one OR gate, one AND gate, and two NOT gates is correct. You have correctly applied the laws of Boolean algebra to simplify the expression and construct the corresponding circuit. It is important to note that there are multiple ways to construct a circuit from a Boolean expression, so as long as your circuit accurately represents the given expression, it can be considered correct. It is also important to double check your work and ensure that all inputs and outputs are correctly connected in the circuit.

1. What is a Boolean expression?

A Boolean expression is a mathematical expression that consists of variables, logical operators, and constants, and evaluates to either true or false. It is named after the mathematician George Boole who first defined it in the 19th century.

2. How are Boolean expressions used in constructing circuits?

Boolean expressions are used in constructing circuits as they represent the logical operations and connections between different components in the circuit. By converting a Boolean expression into a circuit, we can create a visual representation of the logic behind the expression.

3. What is the process of constructing a circuit from a Boolean expression?

The process of constructing a circuit from a Boolean expression involves three steps: 1) Simplifying the expression using Boolean algebra, 2) Identifying the logic gates needed for the simplified expression, and 3) Connecting the gates in the correct sequence to create the circuit.

4. What are some common logic gates used in constructing circuits?

The most commonly used logic gates in constructing circuits are AND, OR, and NOT gates. These gates can be combined to create more complex circuits and perform a variety of logical operations.

5. Why is constructing a circuit from a Boolean expression important?

Constructing a circuit from a Boolean expression is important as it allows us to design and build complex systems that can perform logical operations. It also helps in understanding the relationship between different components in a circuit and how they work together to achieve a desired outcome.