Constructing Non-Zero Vectors from a Zero Matrix: A Proof of Linear Dependence

In summary, to prove that A=O, we need to show that all entries in A are equal to 0. This can be done by showing that for any chosen entry Aij, we can construct a vector v such that Av is not equal to 0. This can be done using the fact that the condition Ax=0 holds for all n x 1 matrices x.
hkus10
1) Let A be an n x n matrix. Prove that if Ax= 0 for all n x 1matrices, then A=O.
Can you show me the steps of solving this problem?
Please!

Physics news on Phys.org
hkus10 said:
1) Let A be an n x n matrix. Prove that if Ax= 0 for all n x 1matrices, then A=O.
Can you show me the steps of solving this problem?
Please!
Show us what you've tried. The rules of this forum say that we aren't supposed to provide any help if you haven't given the problem a try.

Mark44 said:
Show us what you've tried. The rules of this forum say that we aren't supposed to provide any help if you haven't given the problem a try.

Actually, I am stuck how to begin this question. However, I still have some ideas for how to start. I just want to make sure this is the right approach before solving this kind of proof problem. Is it related to the Matrix-Vector Product ?

A vector and an n x 1 matrix are the same thing: it's just semantics.

First, write down what it means for A to be the zero matrix. This will tell you what it is you need to prove. Next, the condition Ax = 0 holds for all n x 1 matrices (or vectors) x, so try to cleverly choose a vector that makes the product Ax nice to work with.

I'm being pretty vague, but I'll be happy to elaborate once you show us your attempt.

Is it I have to converse of the implication first?

I suppose you could, but I think it's easier to prove directly. I guess both methods boil down to the same thing in the end.

Try this: how would you prove that the entry [itex]A_{1,1}=0[/itex]? If you can do this, you should be able to generalize your method.

Suppose some entry in A, say Aij is NOT 0. Can you construct a vector v, such that Av is not 0?

Related to Constructing Non-Zero Vectors from a Zero Matrix: A Proof of Linear Dependence

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which each term is either a constant or the product of a constant and a single variable. The highest power of the variable in a linear equation is always 1.

2. How do you solve a system of linear equations?

To solve a system of linear equations, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. In substitution, you solve for one variable in one equation and substitute the value into the other equation. In elimination, you add or subtract the equations to eliminate one variable. In graphing, you plot the equations on a graph and find the point of intersection.

3. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, variables, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used to represent systems of linear equations, perform matrix operations, and solve systems of equations using matrices.

4. How do you multiply matrices?

To multiply matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. The product matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix. To find the value in each cell of the product matrix, you multiply the corresponding elements in the rows and columns of the matrices and add the products.

5. What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. The inverse of a matrix can be found by using various methods such as Gaussian elimination, adjoint method, or inverse matrix formula.