Continuity and periodic functions

In summary, Niles is trying to figure out if F is differentiable at a if it is continuous at a. He shows that F is continuous for all a and that F'(a) = 0. If F is differentiable at a, then it must be constant for all a. Question 1 was easy and Question 2 was easy.
Niles

Homework Statement

We have a piecewise continuous function and T-periodic function f and we have that:
[tex]
F(a) = \int_a^{a + T} {f(x)dx}
[/tex]

I have to show that F is diferentiable at a if f is continuous at a.

My attempt so far:

I have showed that F is continuous for all a. If we look at one piece where f is continuous for a, we have that if F'(a) = f(a):

[tex]
\frac{1}{h}\int_a^{a + h} {f(x)dx = \frac{{\int_x^{a + h} {f(x)dx - } \int_x^a {f(x)dx} }}{h}}
[/tex]

When h -> 0, then the above goes to f(a) - this is just the Fundemental Theorem of Calculus.

Now I have that:

[tex]
\frac{{F(a + h) - F(a)}}{h} = \frac{{\int_{a + h}^{a + h + T} {f(x)dx - } \int_a^{a + T} {f(x)dx} }}{h} = \frac{{\int_{a + T}^{a + h + T} {f(x)dx - } \int_a^{a + h} {f(x)dx} }}{h}
[/tex]

But where to go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:
[tex]\dots = \frac{{\int_{a + T}^{a + h + T} {f(x)dx - } \int_a^{a + h} {f(x)dx} }}{h}[/tex]

But where to go from here?

Hi Niles! :smile:

Hint: f is T-periodic. :wink:

(hmm … doesn't this work even if f is not continuous? :confused:)

Then it goes to zero as h -> 0. The limit exists, and hence F is differnetiable at all points a, where f is diff. - correct? :smile:

Also, does this mean that F'(a) = 0?

Niles said:
Then it goes to zero as h -> 0.

Actually, it's 0 anyway, isn't it?

That was what was puzzling me. :confused:
The limit exists, and hence F is differnetiable at all points a, where f is diff. - correct? :smile:

Also, does this mean that F'(a) = 0?

Yup! :biggrin:

though the actual value was obvious from the definition, wasn't it? :wink:

Great - I have two final (easy!) questions.

1) I have to conclude that F is piece-wise constant.

2) I have to show that F is constant

My answers:

1) Ok, it's kinda obvious that F must be constant. But I can't find the argument for F being piecewise constant, because I have shown that F is continuous for all a in a previous question. Just because f is P.C., then it doesn't mean that F is it also.

2) If F is constant (and periodic and piecewise continous), then it must be constant for all a, since it is bounded. This question was easy - #1 is annoying me :grumpy:

Niles said:
2) I have to show that F is constant

Isn't that obvious from the previous formula for F(a + h) - F(a)? :smile:

Or am I missing something? :confused:

Question nr. 2 was the easy one. Question nr. 1 was what I couldn't do :smile:

Niles said:
Question nr. 2 was the easy one. Question nr. 1 was what I couldn't do :smile:

Doesn't piecewise constant just mean a multi-step step-function?

So any constant function is piecewise constant? :confused:

Hmm, I guess you are right.

I have one final question, then I'll let you off the hook (I made a joke :rofl:).

In my first post, in the last expression, I changed the limits of integration - here it is:

[tex]

\frac{{F(a + h) - F(a)}}{h} = \frac{{\int_{a + h}^{a + h + T} {f(x)dx - } \int_a^{a + T} {f(x)dx} }}{h} = \frac{{\int_{a + T}^{a + h + T} {f(x)dx - } \int_a^{a + h} {f(x)dx} }}{h}

[/tex]

Is the last step even necessary?

Niles said:
In my first post, in the last expression, I changed the limits of integration - here it is:

[tex]

[/tex]

Is the last step even necessary?

Hi Niles! :smile:

Yes, I think it is …

it's only the periodicity of f that makes it zero …

and the periodicity doesn't obviously apply until the last step. :wink:

Hmm, I can't quite see that. Do you mean that:

[tex]
\int_{a + T}^{a + h + T} {f(x) = \int_a^{a + h} {f(x)} } ?
[/tex]

Last edited:
Niles said:
Hmm, I can't quite see that. Do you mean that:

[tex]
\int_{a + T}^{a + h + T} {f(x) = \int_a^{a + h} {f(x)} } ?
[/tex]

Yes, because the substitution y = x + T makes it

[tex]\int_a^{a + h} f(y)\,dy\ =\ \int_a^{a + h} f(x)\,dx[/tex] :smile:

Great, thanks!

http://www.thefunones.com/costume_rental_shark.jpg :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of continuity?

Continuity refers to the property of a function where there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph. This means that the function is continuous and can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

2. How can you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it is defined at every point on its domain and the limit at each point is equal to the function's value at that point. In other words, the left and right limits must be equal, and there must be no holes or jumps in the graph.

3. What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, while differentiability refers to the existence of a derivative at a given point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, as in the case of a sharp corner or cusp. However, if a function is differentiable, it is also continuous.

4. Can a function be continuous but not periodic?

Yes, a function can be continuous but not periodic. Continuity only requires that the function is defined and has no breaks or jumps, while periodicity requires that the function repeats itself at regular intervals. A function can be continuous but not have a repeating pattern.

5. What are some common examples of periodic functions?

Some common examples of periodic functions include trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, as well as exponential functions like y = ex. Other examples include functions that model natural phenomena like the seasons or ocean tides.