1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity Conditions for the tangential components of a static electric field E

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a boundary between two dielectric media with dielectric constants [itex]\epsilon[/itex]1 and [itex]\epsilon[/itex]2 respectively. The boundary carries a surface charge density [itex]\sigma[/itex]. Use appropriate integral forms of Maxwell equations and an illustrative sketch to derive continuity conditions for the tangential components of a static electric field E

I think I know what to do, but, when it says the tangential components of a static electric field, it confuses me. The only thing I can find anything on relating to the electric field is that the E field is continuous when you consider the components of the field parallel to the boundary.

Am I just being stupid?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2011 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which is one of the boundary conditions that you are asked to derive starting from Maxwell's equations (in integral form). Do you know how to do it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook