Continuous bijection that is not an embedding

In summary: The reason why the definition of smooth embedding is not so nice, is that the smooth structure is not topological. It is an extra structure, but it is not a topology. So, a smooth embedding is not a topological embedding, but it is something more, namely a topological embedding which is also an immersion.
Bacle
Hi:
Just curious: a continuous function f:X-->Y ; X,Y topological spaces, can fail
to be an embedding because it is not 1-1, or, if f is 1-1 , f can fail to be an
embedding because, for U open in X f(U) is not open in f(X).

Can anyone think of a "reasonable" example of the last case, by reasonable
I mean no spaces with finitely many points, the inclusion map from a space
into itself with a different topology (i.e.: we have (X,T) and (X,T') , and we
use i:X-->X : i(x)=x ) , or maybe or something one could find in
"Counterexamples" book.

If A is a strict subspace of X , then the subspace topology on A guarantees
that i:A-->X , the inclusion, is an embedding. Is this true for other topologies on A.?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
X = interval [0,2 pi), Y = circle {(x,y) : x^2+y^2=1}, continuous bijection f(t) = (cos(t),sin(t)).

>> If A is a strict subspace of X , then the subspace topology on A guarantees
that i:A-->X , the inclusion, is an embedding. Is this true for other topologies on A.?

No. In fact, that is the definition of "subspace topology" ... so for any topology on A other than the subspace topology, the inclusion i is NOT an embedding. Either because i is not continuous, or because i is not open, or both.

Edgar wrote
" No. In fact, that is the definition of "subspace topology" ... so for any topology on A other than the subspace topology, the inclusion i is NOT an embedding. Either because i is not continuous, or because i is not open, or both. "

Thanks, Edgar. I thought the subspace topology was the initial topology with respect
to inclusion, and, given an inclusion:

i:A-->X

the initial topology was (is) , by def., the smallest topology on A, which makes the
inclusion continuous (largest topology being the discrete one, 2A), but
I don't see how it follows that the subspace topology is the only one for which i is
( I am.? :) ) an embedding:

We have A< X a strict subspace ( i.e, A is not all of X ). Given the map : i:A-->X

We want to define a topology on A such that :

1) Continuity of i: For U open in X , i-1(U) open in A.

We have that i-1(U) =U/\A . So we must have U/\A open in A.

Then any topology TA on A must contain the subspace topology.

i.e., TA> (A, subspace) (with > meaning contains)

2) Openness of map i: For V open in A, i(V)=V is open in X . Like you said,
it follows that A must be an open subspace of X, i.e., A is open as a subset
of X.

How does it then follow that the only topology that makes i:A-->X
into an embedding is (A, subspace) .?. I don't see how we can conclude,
e.g.,
(A, subspace)> TA

Instead of `No. In fact, that is the definition of "subspace topology"', I think g_edgar should have written `No. In fact, that is the definition of "topological embedding"'.

Let X,Y be topological spaces. A function f:X->Y is an embedding if
* f is injective, and
* f is a homeomorphism onto its image f(X), where f(X) carries the subspace topology of X.

So the requirement of "subspace topology" is part of the definition of embedding.

Landau said:
Instead of `No. In fact, that is the definition of "subspace topology"', I think g_edgar should have written `No. In fact, that is the definition of "topological embedding"'.

Let X,Y be topological spaces. A function f:X->Y is an embedding if
* f is injective, and
* f is a homeomorphism onto its image f(X), where f(X) carries the subspace topology of X.

So the requirement of "subspace topology" is part of the definition of embedding.

Doesn't your second *, that f is a homeomorphism onto its image f(X), automatically mean that f is injective, your first *?

Yes, you are right, the first * is superfluous. So, in short, an embedding is a homemomorphism onto its image.

Landau said:
So, in short, an embedding is a homemomorphism onto its image.

That makes really good intuitive sense. But for some reason the book I have defines embedding in a slightly esoteric way. Instead of topological spaces, it talks about embedding of differentiable manifolds.

First it defines an immersion. Basically, a smooth map f: M -> N between manifolds induces a map called the "differential map" f* between the vector spaces of the two manifolds:

f*: T(M) -> T(N) (explicitly, this map happens to be the Jacobian).

If f* is an injection, then f is said to be an immersion.

In addition, if f is an injection, then f is said to be an embedding.

This definition of an embedding seems weird to me, not as nice as your definition. Is there a reason why one would define an embedding in this way?

Remember, we were talking about topological spaces, i.e. spaces with as additional structure (only) a topology. My definition was of a topological embedding, which is just called an embedding if the context (namely, topology only) should be clear.

In your book it is about (smooth) manifolds: those are first of all topological spaces, but they also have extra structure, namely a smooth structure (atlas). An embedding between smooth manifolds, let us call it a smooth embedding to be sure, also has to deal with this smooth structure, and that is the immersion part.

So, a smooth embedding is a topological embedding which is at the same time an immersion (= injective differential).

1. What is a continuous bijection?

A continuous bijection is a function between two sets that is both one-to-one and onto. This means that every element in the first set has a unique element in the second set that it maps to, and every element in the second set has an element in the first set that maps to it. Additionally, the function must be continuous, meaning that small changes in the input result in small changes in the output.

2. What is an embedding?

An embedding is a type of function that preserves the structure of a mathematical object. In the case of continuous functions, an embedding preserves the topological structure, meaning that the shape and connectivity of the object are maintained. In other words, an embedding is a continuous function that is also one-to-one and onto.

3. How can a continuous bijection not be an embedding?

A continuous bijection may not be an embedding if it does not preserve the topological structure of the object. This can happen if the function is not one-to-one, meaning that multiple elements in the first set map to the same element in the second set. It can also happen if the function is not onto, meaning that there are elements in the second set that do not have a corresponding element in the first set.

4. What are some examples of a continuous bijection that is not an embedding?

One example is the function f(x) = x^3, which maps the real numbers to the real numbers. This function is continuous and one-to-one, but not onto, as there is no real number that maps to a negative number. Another example is the function f(x) = tan(x), which maps the real numbers to the real numbers from -π/2 to π/2. This function is continuous and onto, but not one-to-one, as multiple values of x map to the same value of tan(x).

5. Why is it important to distinguish between a continuous bijection and an embedding?

It is important to distinguish between a continuous bijection and an embedding because they have different properties and implications in mathematics. Embeddings are useful for preserving the topological structure of mathematical objects, while continuous bijections may not preserve this structure. Additionally, embeddings have applications in fields such as topology and geometry, while continuous bijections may not have the same level of significance.