Continuous, bounded, and not uniform?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function f : R -> R that is both continuous and bounded, but not uniformly continuous. An example of such a function is given as f(x) = sin(x^2), which is bounded but has an unbounded derivative. The conversation also considers the concept of uniform continuity and how it is related to continuity and boundedness.
icantadd

Homework Statement

Give an example of a function f : R -> R where f is continuous and bounded but not uniformly continuous.

Homework Equations

A function f : D -> R and R contains D, with Xo in D, and | X - Xo | < delta (X in D), implies | f(X) - f(Xo) | < epsilon. Then f is continuous at Xo.

f is continuous if it is continuous at all Xo.

f is uniformly continuous is close to continuity:
" " x and y in D, | x - y | < delta then | f(x) - f(y) | < epsilon.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I am having is creating a bounded function over the entirety of R, and then showing that the function is uniformly continuous. First I tried,
f(x) = 0 when x = 0
x*sin(1/x) else
Thinking that the craziness around 0 would make it not u.c.
But this doesn't work because f is uniformly continuous, just not pretty.

What I am thinking is that if a function that is continuous, then it is uniformly continuous on any closed interval for its domain. So, if I could find a function that is continuous but contains an open interval it would not be uniformly continuous. But as I say those words, I don't understand them. Any help that is great would be greatly appreciated.

One more thing, the text I am using has not yet given a definition of a bounded function, but something very close, that if a function has a limit (or is continuous) at a point, then there is some bounded interval around that point.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want a function that is bounded and continuous but has an unbounded derivative. How about sin(x^2)? Why would that work?

Dick said:
You want a function that is bounded and continuous but has an unbounded derivative. How about sin(x^2)? Why would that work?

Yes, thank you. At a calculus two level, taking the derivative yields a function whose rate of change is not bounded. i.e. the 2*x part. On a conceptual level the graph oscilates more differently as x gets big making it not uniformly continuous, meaning I can't pick to values in the domain, and know that there is well behaved delta. Is that correct?

I think you have the right picture. No matter how small an epsilon you pick, for x large enough f(x) will range between 2 and -2 for values in the interval (x-e,x+e).

Dick said:
I think you have the right picture. No matter how small an epsilon you pick, for x large enough f(x) will range between 2 and -2 for values in the interval (x-e,x+e).

If we're talking about f(x) = sin(x^2), f(x) can never be larger than 1 or less than -1.

Mark44 said:
If we're talking about f(x) = sin(x^2), f(x) can never be larger than 1 or less than -1.

Right, sure. Thanks.

1. What does continuous mean in the context of science?

Continuous refers to a variable or function that can take on any value within a specified range or domain. This means that there are no gaps or interruptions in the data or function, and it can take on an infinite number of values.

2. How is bounded defined in science?

Bounded refers to a variable or function that has a defined upper and lower limit. This means that the variable or function can only take on values within a certain range, and cannot exceed those limits.

3. What is an example of a continuous, bounded, and not uniform function?

An example of a continuous, bounded, and not uniform function is the logistic function. It is continuous because it can take on any value between 0 and 1, bounded because it has defined upper and lower limits, and not uniform because it increases rapidly at first and then levels off.

4. How are continuous, bounded, and not uniform functions used in scientific research?

Continuous, bounded, and not uniform functions are commonly used in various fields of science to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena. They can help researchers understand and predict patterns and behaviors in nature and society.

5. What are some real-world applications of continuous, bounded, and not uniform functions?

Continuous, bounded, and not uniform functions have many real-world applications, such as modeling population growth, analyzing stock market trends, and predicting changes in weather patterns. They are also used in physics, biology, economics, and many other fields of science.