1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous, bounded, and not uniform?

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give an example of a function f : R -> R where f is continuous and bounded but not uniformly continuous.

2. Relevant equations
    A function f : D -> R and R contains D, with Xo in D, and | X - Xo | < delta (X in D), implies | f(X) - f(Xo) | < epsilon. Then f is continuous at Xo.

f is continuous if it is continuous at all Xo.

f is uniformly continuous is close to continuity:
    " " x and y in D, | x - y | < delta then | f(x) - f(y) | < epsilon.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem I am having is creating a bounded function over the entirety of R, and then showing that the function is uniformly continuous. First I tried,
    f(x) = 0 when x = 0
    x*sin(1/x) else
    Thinking that the craziness around 0 would make it not u.c.
    But this doesn't work because f is uniformly continuous, just not pretty.

What I am thinking is that if a function that is continuous, then it is uniformly continuous on any closed interval for its domain. So, if I could find a function that is continuous but contains an open interval it would not be uniformly continuous. But as I say those words, I don't understand them. Any help that is great would be greatly appreciated.

One more thing, the text I am using has not yet given a definition of a bounded function, but something very close, that if a function has a limit (or is continuous) at a point, then there is some bounded interval around that point.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want a function that is bounded and continuous but has an unbounded derivative. How about sin(x^2)? Why would that work?
  4. Oct 22, 2008 #3
    Yes, thank you. At a calculus two level, taking the derivative yields a function whose rate of change is not bounded. i.e. the 2*x part. On a conceptual level the graph oscilates more differently as x gets big making it not uniformly continuous, meaning I can't pick to values in the domain, and know that there is well behaved delta. Is that correct?
  5. Oct 22, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you have the right picture. No matter how small an epsilon you pick, for x large enough f(x) will range between 2 and -2 for values in the interval (x-e,x+e).
  6. Oct 22, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

If we're talking about f(x) = sin(x^2), f(x) can never be larger than 1 or less than -1.
  7. Oct 22, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right, sure. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?