Continuous Compounding Interest

In summary: Additionally, the formula for noncontinuous compounding should be A_{noncont}=P(1+\frac{.06}{999999999999})^{10\times999999999999}=1.82124518238P. With these adjustments, your thinking is correct - the continuous compounding formula should give the larger amount.
ecoo
Hello

So from what I understand, the continuous compound formula finds out the most you can get from interest no matter how many times you compound the interest in a set amount of time. So how come when I plugin in a big number into the regular compounding formula for the rate, the end amount is more than the amount I get when calculating with the continuous compounding formula? I think that it's a calculator inaccuracy, or is my view incorrect?

Thanks for the help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ecoo said:
Hello

So from what I understand, the continuous compound formula finds out the most you can get from interest no matter how many times you compound the interest in a set amount of time. So how come when I plugin in a big number into the regular compounding formula for the rate, the end amount is more than the amount I get when calculating with the continuous compounding formula? I think that it's a calculator inaccuracy, or is my view incorrect?

Thanks for the help!
Interest compounded continuously should give the larger amount. Can you show us an example where the normal compounding formula seems to give a larger interest amount?

Are you forgetting to divide the annual interest rate by the number of compounding periods per year?

Mark44 said:
Interest compounded continuously should give the larger amount. Can you show us an example where the normal compounding formula seems to give a larger interest amount?

Are you forgetting to divide the annual interest rate by the number of compounding periods per year?
So for example, if I use the regular compounding interest for 6% for 10 years, and the rate is 999999999999 (add more if you want), then the answer is more than the continuous equation result. Besides the answer, is my thinking correct?

Noncontinuous: [tex]A_{noncont}=P(1+\frac{0.06}{999999999999})^{10\times999999999999}=1.82124518238P[/tex]
Continuous: [tex]A_{cont}=Pe^{(0.06\times10)}=1.82211880039P[/tex]
[tex]A_{noncont}<A_{cont}[/tex]

ecoo said:
So for example, if I use the regular compounding interest for 6% for 10 years, and the rate is 999999999999 (add more if you want), then the answer is more than the continuous equation result. Besides the answer, is my thinking correct?
The rate refers to the interest rate, which in your example is 6%. The periodic interest rate would be .06/999999999999.

1. What is continuous compounding interest?

Continuous compounding interest is a type of interest calculation where the interest is added to the principal amount continuously, rather than at specific intervals. This results in a higher overall interest amount compared to other compounding methods.

2. How is continuous compounding interest calculated?

Continuous compounding interest is calculated using the formula A = Pe^(rt), where A is the final amount, P is the principal amount, e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828, r is the interest rate, and t is the time period.

3. What are the benefits of continuous compounding interest?

Continuous compounding interest can result in a higher overall interest amount compared to other compounding methods, making it beneficial for long-term investments. It also eliminates the need to track and calculate interest at regular intervals, making it a simpler method for both lenders and borrowers.

4. Are there any downsides to continuous compounding interest?

One potential downside of continuous compounding interest is that it can be more difficult to compare and understand the true interest rates of different loans or investments. It also requires the use of a mathematical constant, e, which may be unfamiliar to some individuals.

5. Is continuous compounding interest commonly used in financial transactions?

Continuous compounding interest is less commonly used compared to other compounding methods, such as daily or monthly compounding. However, it is still used in some financial transactions, particularly for long-term investments and loans with higher interest rates.