1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous Functions of One Random Variable

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    My problem is as follows (sorry, but the tags were giving me issues. I tried to make it as readable as possible):
    Let X have the pdf f(x)= θ * e-θx, 0 < x < ∞

Find pdf of Y = ex

I've gone about this the way I normally do for these problems.
    I have
    G(y) = P(X < ln y) = ∫ θ * e-θx dx from 0 to ln y = 1 - y

So then I need g(y) = G'(y) of Y? which would be
    θ * e-θln y?

I know there's something obvious in there that I'm missing. I'm having a hard time connecting the last equation to the process that I usually follow.

If anyone can give a nudge, I'd be grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

Have you taken the derivative of the expression 1-y with respect to y, rather than writing y in exponential form? That will give you your probability density for y. You have a slight mistake in your first attempt θe-θln y - this can be rewritten as θ y; can you spot what the problem is and how it can be fixed?

4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
    As in (θy)/y ?
    As for that, am I missing 1/y, so I get (θ y)/y ?

Sorry if I'm not grabbing onto what your trying to say. The more I think about it the muddier I get.

5. Nov 8, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You did not make an error; the result you had --- P(Y < y) = 1 - y^(-θ) --- is correct exactly as written. However, you need to specify the interval {y ≥ 1}, because y = exp(x) ≥ 1 for x ≥ 0. In other words, P{Y < y} = 0 for y < 1.

RGV

6. Nov 9, 2012 #5
    Big, fat facepalm going on over here....

That's why I was so unsure of what I was getting. I was trying to integrate from 0 to infinity to check the PDF, which wasn't giving me 1.
    Stupid interval...

Anyhow, thank you very much for the explanation. It helped out a lot. Off to practice some more problems...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook