Is the Converse of a Continuous Function on Product Spaces Also Continuous?

• Thread starter jmjlt88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of continuous functions and the definition of h, a function defined by the equation h(a,c) = (f(a), g(c)). The speaker also brings up the question of whether h is continuous and examines the converse statement and its implications. They also mention the importance of paying attention to both directions of a statement.
jmjlt88
Let f: A -> B and g: C -> D be continuous functions.

Define h: A x C -> B x D by the equation

h(a,c)=(f(a),g(c)).​

Show h is continuous.

A few weeks ago I completed this exercise. Now, I am working on a problem that would be almost too easy if the converse of the above claim were true. I had trouble trying to construct a counterexample; so I tried to prove it.

Suppose h is continous. Let U be open in B. Then U x D is open in B x D, and by our assumption, h-1(U x D) is open in A x C. Since h-1(U x D) = f-1(U) x g-1(D), f-1(U) is open and f is continuous.

Does f-1(U) x g-1(D) being open in the product space imply f-1(U) is open in A?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are projections open maps?

Yes.

Forgive my naivety, but how come the exercise isn't presented as an "if and only if" statement?

Perhaps I should examine these problems more closely. I originally completed this problem rather quickly; I then moved on without a second thought about if the converse is true. I should pay more attention.

jmjlt88 said:
Yes.

Forgive my naivety, but how come the exercise isn't presented as an "if and only if" statement?

Perhaps I should examine these problems more closely. I originally completed this problem rather quickly; I then moved on without a second thought about if the converse is true. I should pay more attention.

The converse seems much less interesting, so I can understand why it is not an exercise. In either case, thinking about the converse is always a good practice.

FAQ: Is the Converse of a Continuous Function on Product Spaces Also Continuous?

1. What is a continuous map?

A continuous map is a function between two topological spaces that preserves the topological structure. This means that any open set in the domain space will have an open set in the range space that corresponds to it.

2. What is the definition of a continuous product map?

A continuous product map is a function that maps a topological product space to another topological space, and preserves the topological structure of both spaces.

3. What is the significance of continuous maps in mathematics?

Continuous maps play a crucial role in understanding the properties of topological spaces and their transformations. They allow us to define and study concepts such as convergence, compactness, and connectedness, which are essential in many areas of mathematics.

4. How are continuous maps related to homeomorphisms?

A homeomorphism is a bijective continuous map with a continuous inverse. This means that a homeomorphism preserves the topological structure of a space and is a one-to-one correspondence between points in two spaces. Continuous maps can be used to define and study homeomorphisms between topological spaces.

5. Can a continuous map be discontinuous at some points?

Yes, a continuous map can be discontinuous at some points. A map is only required to be continuous at every point in its domain, but it can have discontinuities at isolated points. However, if a map is discontinuous at a point, it cannot be considered a continuous map.