Contour integral representation of Kronecker delta

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of the Kronecker delta function using complex analysis and a specific contour. The speaker initially struggles with the calculations but eventually arrives at the correct solution, noting the importance of a specified contour and the undefined expression when $m=n$. They thank the other person for their help and clarify the correct contour to use.
ognik
I'm rather impressed with complex analysis, but clearly I have a lot to learn.

I'm told $ \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint {z}^{m-n-1} dz $ is a rep. of the kronecker delta function, so I tried to work through that. I used $z = re^{i\theta}$ and got to $ \frac{1}{2\pi} [\frac{{r}^{m-n}}{i(m-n)}e^{i\theta(m-n)} ]^{2\pi}_0 $

I have since found this on the web, so it seems right - all I need do is evaluate it for m=n and m \NE n ...but I'm stuck. Is there one of those nice tricks to use as the next step?

Physics news on Phys.org
More care is needed in your analysis. You need a specified contour in order to perform contour integration. Also, if $m = n$, the expression $\frac{1}{m - n}$ is undefined. Based of your choice of parametrization, I assume that the contour of integration is the circle $|z| = r$. If $m\neq n$, then your calculations are so far correct (again, assuming that the contour is the circle $|z| = r$), and the result is zero (since $e^{i2\pi(m - n)} - e^{i0(m-n)} = 1 - 1 = 0$). If $m = n$, then $$\oint z^{m-n-1}\, dz = \oint z^{-1} dz = \int_0^{2\pi} (re^{i\theta})^{-1}\cdot ire^{i\theta}\, d\theta = \int_0^{2\pi} i\, d\theta = 2\pi i.$$

Hence $\oint z^{m-n-1}\, dz = 2\pi i\delta_{m,n}$, or

$$\frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint z^{m-n-1}\, dz = \delta_{m,n}.$$

Sorry, yes that's the contour (I thought a small circle around 0 was a default contour).

I somehow missed both of those, they are straight forward (I might have been a little tired (Doh)) - thanks as usual for the clarity.

Related to Contour integral representation of Kronecker delta

1. What is the contour integral representation of Kronecker delta?

The contour integral representation of Kronecker delta is a mathematical expression that represents the Kronecker delta function as a contour integral. It is given by ∮C f(z) dz, where f(z) is a function and C is the contour of integration.

2. What is the significance of the contour integral representation of Kronecker delta?

The contour integral representation of Kronecker delta is important in complex analysis and mathematical physics. It allows for the evaluation of complex integrals and has applications in solving differential equations, calculating residues, and solving problems in electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

3. How is the contour integral representation of Kronecker delta derived?

The contour integral representation of Kronecker delta can be derived using the Cauchy integral formula, which relates the value of a function inside a closed contour to its values on the contour itself. By choosing an appropriate function f(z) and contour C, the Kronecker delta function can be represented as a contour integral.

4. Can the contour integral representation of Kronecker delta be used to evaluate infinite sums?

Yes, the contour integral representation of Kronecker delta can be used to evaluate infinite sums involving the Kronecker delta function. This is because the contour integral can be evaluated using the residue theorem, which allows for the calculation of residues at singular points within the contour of integration.

5. Are there any limitations to using the contour integral representation of Kronecker delta?

While the contour integral representation of Kronecker delta is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for functions that are analytic in the region of integration. Additionally, the contour of integration must be chosen carefully to ensure that all relevant singularities are included in the contour.