Contraction Mapping Theorem Question

In summary, the Contraction Mapping Theorem states that if a function maps a complete metric space to itself and is a contraction, meaning it reduces the distance between points, then it has a unique fixed point. This theorem is important in the field of mathematics, particularly in the study of dynamical systems, and has practical applications in fields such as economics and physics. It provides a powerful tool for proving the existence and uniqueness of solutions to equations and systems of equations. The Contraction Mapping Theorem has been widely studied and has numerous extensions and variations, making it a fundamental concept in mathematical analysis.
nugget

Homework Statement

Consider the function g : [0,∞) → R defined by g(x) = x + e−2x.

Given |g(x2) − g(x1)| < |x2 − x1| for all x1, x2 ∈ [0,∞) with x1 ≠ x2.

Is g a contraction on [0,∞)? Why?

Homework Equations

I think we are intended to use the given equation and the CMT

CMT states that |f(x)-f(y)|=c|x-y|, where x,y∈R.

Which is similar to |g(x2) − g(x1)|<|x2 − x1|

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to begin with this; I'm not simply after the answer though, just a prod in the right direction would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
On my computer, the formula for g(x) displays an unreadable symbol before the e-2x. Also, I confess that I have only seen CMT from browsing my friend's analysis book, and it doesn't exactly say
Are they equivalent?

EDIT: The actual statement I read is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banach_fixed_point_theorem

Last edited:
g is a contraction precisely when there is some positive real number c < 1 with

[tex]|g(y) - g(x)| < c |y-x|[/tex]

for all x,y in the domain.

You have to either find a positive c < 1 that satisfies the inequality above for all [tex]x,y \in [0,\infty)[/tex] or show no positive c < 1 exists which satisfies the inequality. Note that

[tex]|g(y) - g(x)| < |y-x|[/tex]

does not show g is a contraction. The constant 0 < c < 1 really is needed (check the proof of the contraction mapping theorem to see why if you're interested; it's a really cool piece of mathematics).

Last edited:
nugget said:

Homework Statement

Consider the function g : [0,∞) → R defined by g(x) = x + e−2x.

Given |g(x2) − g(x1)| < |x2 − x1| for all x1, x2 ∈ [0,∞) with x1 ≠ x2.

Is g a contraction on [0,∞)? Why?

Homework Equations

I think we are intended to use the given equation and the CMT

No, it doesn't. That is simply the definition of "contraction map". The CMT states that if f is a contraction map that take set S into itself, then it has exactly one fixed point in S.

Which is similar to |g(x2) − g(x1)|<|x2 − x1|

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to begin with this; I'm not simply after the answer though, just a prod in the right direction would be great

What is the Contraction Mapping Theorem?

The Contraction Mapping Theorem is a mathematical theorem that guarantees the existence and uniqueness of a fixed point for a certain type of function called a contraction. It is commonly used in mathematics and engineering to prove the convergence of iterative methods.

What is a contraction function?

A contraction function is a function that maps a metric space to itself and satisfies the condition that the distance between the images of any two points is always less than the distance between the two points. In other words, it "contracts" the distance between points, hence the name contraction function.

What are the conditions for the Contraction Mapping Theorem to hold?

There are two main conditions for the Contraction Mapping Theorem to hold: (1) the function must be a contraction, meaning it satisfies the distance condition mentioned above, and (2) the metric space must be complete, meaning that all Cauchy sequences in the space converge to a point within the space.

How is the Contraction Mapping Theorem useful in real-world applications?

The Contraction Mapping Theorem is useful in solving many real-world problems that can be formulated as finding the fixed point of a contraction function. This includes applications in economics, physics, and computer science, to name a few. It also serves as a theoretical basis for many numerical methods used in engineering and science.

What are some examples of contraction functions?

There are many different types of contraction functions, but some common examples include the exponential function, the logarithmic function, and the trigonometric functions (such as sine and cosine). These functions satisfy the contraction condition when defined on appropriate intervals and can be used to prove the Contraction Mapping Theorem.