Contraction of spring colliding with balls

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum contraction of a vertical spring (k=100n/m) with a box of 5kg on it when a 1kg ball is dropped from a height of 1m into the box, assuming a plastic collision. The method used to find the maximum contraction involves finding the velocity of the collision (4.27[m/s]) and using momentum and collision laws to calculate the final velocity (0.7378[m/s]). Using the conservation of energy, the equation E=0.5(m1+m2)U^2=0.5Kx^2 is used to find the maximum contraction of the spring (x=0.79m). The conversation also mentions a discrepancy with the
devanlevin
on a vertical spring (k=100n/m) there is a box with a mass of 5kg, a ball of 1kg is dropped into it from a height of 1m what is the maximum contraction of the spring if the collosion is plastic.

i hope that my terminology is correct as i am not studying this in english and am translating

what i did was find the velcocity of the colision, ie the velocity of the ball after falling 1m, came to 4.27[m/s]

then using momentum and collision laws

m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)U

M1-the ball
M2-the box

m2v2=0(stationary object)

U=m1v1/(m1+m2)
U=(1*4.27)/6=0.7378[m/s]

then what i did was, using energy i said the energy is conserved from after the impact till the springs maximum contraction so:

E=0.5(m1+m2)U^2=0.5Kx^2
3*0.7378^2=50x^2

x=0.18m

then onto that i added another0.49m which is the original contraction from the weight of the box, and i get
x=0.67m

but the answer in the book is 0.79m and i just can't see how they got it

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello devinlevin!
I would agree with your attack until your energy equation:E=0.5(m1+m2)U^2=0.5Kx^2
3*0.7378^2=50x^2- specifically the left side.

First try setting up a general equation, not plugging in numbers and tell me what you get.

I would say that your approach and calculations seem reasonable and accurate. However, it is important to note that there may be some minor differences in the calculations due to rounding or slight variations in the values used. It is also possible that the answer in the book is incorrect, as mistakes can happen. I would suggest double-checking your calculations and if they are correct, then your answer of 0.67m is most likely the accurate maximum contraction of the spring.

1. What is the scientific explanation behind the contraction of a spring colliding with balls?

The contraction of a spring colliding with balls is due to the principle of conservation of energy. When the spring collides with the balls, the energy from the spring is transferred to the balls, causing them to compress the spring. As the balls push into the spring, they exert a force on the spring, causing it to contract and store potential energy.

2. How does the mass and velocity of the balls affect the contraction of the spring?

The mass and velocity of the balls play a significant role in the contraction of the spring. As the mass of the balls increases, they will have more kinetic energy when they collide with the spring, causing a greater compression of the spring. Similarly, a higher velocity of the balls will result in a bigger force exerted on the spring, leading to a larger contraction.

3. Can the elasticity of the spring impact the contraction?

Yes, the elasticity of the spring plays a crucial role in the contraction process. An elastic spring will be able to store more potential energy and contract further compared to an inelastic spring. This is because the elastic spring can absorb and release energy more efficiently, allowing for a more significant contraction when the balls collide with it.

4. Are there any external factors that can affect the contraction of the spring?

Yes, there are various external factors that can impact the contraction of the spring, such as temperature, air resistance, and the surface on which the balls and spring are colliding. Higher temperatures can cause the spring to expand, reducing its ability to contract. Air resistance can also dissipate some of the energy from the collision, resulting in less compression of the spring.

5. How can the contraction of a spring colliding with balls be applied in real-life situations?

The contraction of a spring colliding with balls has many practical applications. It is used in sports equipment, such as basketballs and tennis rackets, where the compression of the spring-like materials helps propel the ball or object. It is also used in car suspension systems and shock absorbers, where the contraction of the spring helps absorb and dampen the impact of bumps and uneven roads.