1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contraction of spring colliding with balls

1. Aug 17, 2008 #1
    on a vertical spring (k=100n/m) there is a box with a mass of 5kg, a ball of 1kg is dropped into it from a height of 1m what is the maximum contraction of the spring if the collosion is plastic.

i hope that my terminology is correct as i am not studying this in english and am translating

what i did was find the velcocity of the colision, ie the velocity of the ball after falling 1m, came to 4.27[m/s]

then using momentum and collision laws

m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)U

M1-the ball
    M2-the box

m2v2=0(stationary object)

U=m1v1/(m1+m2)
    U=(1*4.27)/6=0.7378[m/s]

then what i did was, using energy i said the energy is conserved from after the impact till the springs maximum contraction so:

E=0.5(m1+m2)U^2=0.5Kx^2
    3*0.7378^2=50x^2

x=0.18m

then onto that i added another0.49m which is the original contraction from the weight of the box, and i get
    x=0.67m

but the answer in the book is 0.79m and i just cant see how they got it

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2008 #2
    Re: collision

Hello devinlevin!
    I would agree with your attack until your energy equation:E=0.5(m1+m2)U^2=0.5Kx^2
    3*0.7378^2=50x^2- specifically the left side.

First try setting up a general equation, not plugging in numbers and tell me what you get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?