1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control System Gain design problem

1. May 18, 2014 #1
    Is it possible for a Type 0 Open Loop Transfer function to have 0 steady state error?
    Context - Control System Gain design to meet a certain steady state error specification.

The open loop T.F - G(s)=3/(s^2 +4s+3) (This is type 0 (n=0))

The closed loop T.F is Gc(s)=G(s)/(1+KG(s)), But my problem is will changing the value of K or adding gain would make a difference? Because the Open loop T.F. is Type 0, the steady state error for 1. step i/p - constant
    2. ramp & parabolic i/p - infinity, Any help is much appreciated. :)

Attached Files:

• ASK.png
      ASK.png
      File size:
      6.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2014 #2

donpacino

Gold Member

Typically 'H' is the feedback gain and 'K' is the amplifier before the plant, which is G in this case.

Are you sure you have your amplifier in the correct location?

4. May 19, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply!

And yes it is, the closed loop T.F is Gc(s)=G(s)/(1+KG(s)). Even after when I convert it to a unity feedback gain system it still is a type 0 system. Which can't have zero steady state error. And they're asking us to show that a gain (possibly in the forward path) of K+1 would enable it to maintain a zero steady state error.

5. May 20, 2014 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

with your system, you will always have a steady state error of 1/4*step input.

Now if your K was in the forward path (as in directly before the plant) then the steady state error for a step input would be step_input*(1/(1+3*k))

so if you made K infinitely large, the steady state error would approximately equal zero.

6. May 22, 2014 #5
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted