Control torque of 3 phase motor

In summary, people have installed capacitors on their transformer to control the torque generated by the motors. There are also motor soft starters available which can save energy and pay for themselves in a few years.
inelastic
Dear all,

This is a newbie asking for some information.

Actually, we have 1x30HP, 2x10HP motors working at our workplace. When we start the motors there is a lot of torque generated due to which our grid supply charges us penalty every month.

We need information about the device(s) that are used to control the torque.

While doing some research, I got to know that I can get myself set up control panel that has capacitors either separately on each motor or on my 100kva transformer. This will control the torque as well as give me saving on electricity bill.

Kindly help in this regards.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello ine...Welcome

Not really torque- that is the physical output of the motor you are probably being charged for reactive power - KVAR or poor Power Factor (PF) on your bill. A common issues with these motors is they are oversized and this leads to the poor PF or too much Reactive Power.

If the load on the motors is very consistent, then you can add capacitors, but this should be an engineered solution. It is also possible to get an automatic capacitor bank that adjusts - more engineering and $.

Another solution would be to add variable speed drives - these will run the motors at the proper point to match the physical load - the advantage of this is they react to variable load very well, but also need to be engineered and can be expensive (10HP drive ~ $ 2500-3500 - plus install and set up) , but typically these will save energy and pay for themselves in a few years, especially if the physical load is much less than the rating of the motor.

If you do not know of a good technical resource to help and advise - I would contact your utility to make a recommendation, they should make a site visit, prepare a basic sketch and discuss the possibilities - most utilities here in the US provide this service - since they are not selling the equipment, they SHOULD give you a fair assessment.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I have researched about this in the local market and got to know that people have installed a device called Power Factor(A panel board which has capacitors). Good quality capacitors are from Hyundai or LG i heard.

Many people have installed them with their transformers rather than on individual motor. For e.g you have 100 kva transformer, but people have installed Power Factors which can handle load of 200kva to carter any torque from motors etc.
The power factor actually handles all the load of the workplace and includes all motors working.

Other than that I have got information on Motor Soft Starters such as the one in the link below:-
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Drives

I believe the device would be a Power Factor Corrector - since Power Factor is the condition, not a device. If the added capacitors are on all of the time, and the motors are not, this can be detrimental to the motors when they start and other factors. -- while this may be a good solution, not something I would just throw on the system as a remedy.

Also - a Motor Soft Stater, is a different device, but your link is for motor drives, so that does seem to be what I was suggesting. - again not a project for a novice.

Dear Newbie,

Thank you for reaching out for information on controlling torque for your 3 phase motors. There are a few options available for controlling the torque of your motors, including using a control panel with capacitors or installing a variable frequency drive (VFD).

A control panel with capacitors can help to improve the power factor of your motors, which can reduce the amount of reactive power required from the grid and potentially lower your electricity bill. However, this may not directly control the torque of the motors.

A VFD, on the other hand, can provide precise control over the torque of your motors. It works by adjusting the frequency of the electrical supply to the motor, which in turn controls the speed and torque of the motor. This can help to reduce the initial surge of torque when starting the motors, which may be causing the penalty from your grid supply.

I recommend consulting with a qualified electrician or engineer to determine the best solution for your specific situation. They can help evaluate your current setup and make recommendations for the most efficient and cost-effective way to control the torque of your motors. Additionally, they can ensure that any modifications or installations are done safely and in compliance with regulations.

I hope this information helps. Best of luck in finding a solution for your workplace.

What is control torque?

Control torque refers to the amount of force or rotational power that is used to control the movement of a 3 phase motor. It is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) and is necessary for efficient and precise operation of the motor.

How is control torque controlled in a 3 phase motor?

The control torque of a 3 phase motor is controlled through the use of variable frequency drives (VFDs) or other motor control systems. These devices regulate the frequency and voltage of the electrical current going to the motor, which in turn affects the amount of torque produced by the motor.

Why is controlling torque important in 3 phase motors?

Controlling torque is important in 3 phase motors because it allows for precise and efficient operation. Without proper control of torque, the motor may not be able to perform its intended tasks and may also suffer from unnecessary wear and tear.

What factors affect the control torque of a 3 phase motor?

The control torque of a 3 phase motor can be affected by several factors, including the frequency and voltage of the electrical current, the motor's design and construction, and the load or resistance it is facing.

How can the control torque of a 3 phase motor be optimized?

The control torque of a 3 phase motor can be optimized by properly selecting and programming the VFD or motor control system, ensuring the motor is designed and constructed for the intended application, and regularly maintaining and monitoring the motor's performance.