Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convection currents

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    Hi, please could someone explain how a convection current occurs. There are a few different explanations I have come across which in my view are not consistent. Warm air rises, becomes less dense and due to its buoyancy will rise. What mechanism causes the cooler air to replace this air? Some sources say it is 'sucked in' due to pressure differences whilst others say the cooler air from above sinks. I have looked at another thread (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=676317) but its a bit too complex for me but seems to suggest it has nothing to do with pressure differences?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Probably heat (or something) causing a change in density. I guess you'll need a gravitational field, real or artificial, so that the material with altered density is acted on differently.

Oh, and I'm sure you need it to be a fluid, or at least behave like a fluid, so convection currents can exist.

4. Feb 10, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You certainly seem confused!

You may be better off picking a description you have found and asking about that.
    It will also help to have some idea of your education level.

It is both at the same time.

Cool air is more dense than the hot air so it sinks in, the rising hot air also sucks in surrounding air.
    When convection starts up it is very messy but quickly settles into a "cell" form where hot air rises in a rough column with cool air sinking around it. However, there are other factors contributing - i.e. a chimney effect near tall cliffs.

One way you can study convection is in water - put a glass pan on the stove on a low heat (you don't want the water to boil at all) and inject a little bit of ink (some crystals are good for this) towards one edge and watch the way the color moves about.

But the basic principle is what you have read: hot air rises as a low-density bubble in the cooler air and the cold air flows around it.

5. Feb 10, 2014 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Place a volume of warm air on a balance scale next to an equal volume of cold air. Does the cold air push up the warm air or does the warm air pull down the cold air?

Lift an object off a table. Did it leave an empty vacuum on the table where it used to be? Why or why not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook