1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence and stability in multivariate fixed point iteration

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    Hi, I'm new to posting questions on forums, so I apologise if the problem is poorly described.

My problem is solving a simulation of the state of a mineral processing froth flotation plant. In the form x@i+1 = f(x@i), f represents the flotation plant. f is a computationally intensive solution of systems of simultaneous linear equations (material balancing) and evaluation of the state of each unit in the process. x contains ~20 elements, depending on user configuration of the process.

For some (user defined) configurations of the function f, this system iterates rapidly to convergence by back-substitution ie. Picard iteration. For the last couple of years I have been using Krasnoselskij iteration (EMA filter) and the system converges in most, but not all situations. Also, convergence is slow (200+ iterations) for some configurations. Since f is computationally expensive, on the order of 10ms, calculation of a good x@i+1 is crucial. I have also investigated Mann iterations. I have implemeted Direct Inversion in the Iterative Subspace (DIIS) but still have concerns about the uniqueness of solutions from DIIS which I am investigating.

A single calculation of the Jacobian would take longer than most simulations take to converge by back-substitution.

Is there a recommended algorithm for accelerating convergence and increasing the stability of a multidimensional fixed point iteration problem without derivatives?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted