Convergence of 1/K?: Tests & Solutions

• Thread starter Destroxia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the question is whether the series ##\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{1}{k!}## converges. The ratio test can be used to determine convergence, which states that if ##\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} < 1##, then the series converges. In this case, ##\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{n!}{(n+1)!} = \lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{1}{n+1} = 0##, so the series converges. It can also be shown that
Destroxia

Homework Statement

Does (1/(k!)) converge?

Homework Equations

[/B]
Convergence Tests?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could just simply use the divergence test, but I'm not sure if that only tells you if it's divergent and not whether it is convergent or not.

lim(k>inf) (1/(k!)) = 0, if L =/= 0, then it is divergent, but since it is 0 does that make it convergent, or inconclusive?

I've thought about trying a comparison test but I'm not sure what I could compare 1/k! too, would I compare it to 1/k? In which case it would be divergent.

Kinda stuck here on which to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you wondering about the convergence of the series ##\Sigma_{k=0}^\infty \frac{1}{k!}##

We can set ##e^x=\Sigma_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^k}{k!}##. Then ##e^1=\Sigma_{k=0}^\infty \frac{1^k}{k!}=\Sigma_{k=0}^\infty \frac{1}{k!}##

So, the series converges and equals ##e##.

While it is true that [itex]\sum \frac{1}{k!}[/itex] converges to e, if you did not know that initially, you could have used the "ratio test": [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges if [itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}< 1[/itex] and diverges if it is greater than one.

(Your test, that if [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges, the [itex]a_n[/itex], must go to 0, is generally called the "divergence test" since it tells us that if that limit is NOT 0 then the series diverges but does NOT tell us one way or the other if the limit is 0.)

HallsofIvy said:
While it is true that [itex]\sum \frac{1}{k!}[/itex] converges to e, if you did not know that initially, you could have used the "ratio test": [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges if [itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}< 1[/itex] and diverges if it is greater than one.

(Your test, that if [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges, the [itex]a_n[/itex], must go to 0, is generally called the "divergence test" since it tells us that if that limit is NOT 0 then the series diverges but does NOT tell us one way or the other if the limit is 0.)

I don't think you stated the ratio test quite right. The ratio test tells us that the series converges if [itex]lim_{n->\infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} <1[/itex]. The series the OP asked about certainly passes this test, since [itex]lim_{n->\infty} \frac{n!}{(n+1)!} = lim_{n->\infty} \frac{1}{n+1} = 0[/itex]. You wrote that the ratio test is that the series converges if [itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} < 1[/itex]. The series [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n} [/itex] would pass this test since [itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = \frac{n}{n+1} < 1[/itex] for all n, but it does not converge. The ratio test for this series gives [itex]lim_{n->\infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = lim_{n->\infty} \frac{n}{n+1} = 1[/itex]

1. What is the concept of "convergence" in mathematical terms?

In mathematics, convergence refers to the idea that a sequence of numbers or functions approaches a specific value or limit as the number of terms increases.

2. How is the convergence of 1/K tested?

The convergence of 1/K can be tested using various methods, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the terms in the sequence and determine if it approaches a finite value or not.

3. What is the significance of 1/K convergence in mathematics?

The convergence of 1/K is significant in mathematics as it is a fundamental concept in calculus and analysis. It allows us to determine the behavior of infinite sequences and series, which have various applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

4. Can you provide an example of a solution for 1/K convergence?

One example of a solution for 1/K convergence is the harmonic series, which can be written as 1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/K. This series is known to converge slowly, and its convergence can be tested using the integral test.

5. Are there any practical applications of 1/K convergence?

Yes, 1/K convergence has various practical applications, such as in finance for calculating interest rates, in physics for analyzing infinite series in quantum mechanics, and in engineering for determining the stability of systems with infinitely many components.