Convergence of a double summation using diagonals

In summary, the goal is to prove that the summation of absolute convergent series is independent of the order in which the terms are added. This can be shown by using the fact that absolute convergence implies convergence and the commutativity of addition in real numbers. The question may also relate to countable additivity in probability.
Shawn Garsed

Homework Statement

Show that ##\sum_{k=2}^\infty d_k## converges to ##\lim_{n\to\infty} s_{nn}##.

Homework Equations

I've included some relevant information below:

Ri4oy.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've managed to show that ##\sum_{k=2}^\infty |d_k|## converges, but I don't know how to move on from there.

P.S.
I also posted this question to math.stackexchange but haven't gotten an answer there.

Attachments

• Ri4oy.jpg
    Ri4oy.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,665
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure I understand what the question is?

note: I think your author is abusing language here. The array entries (at least using matrix terminology) are better described as anti-diagonals.

Suppose you have and ##m## x ##n## array. You can sum its entries any way you want: by row, by column, by diagonal or by anti-diagonal, or some more exotic approach -- it doesn't matter as long as you include every number once in your sum, and no numbers twice.

Why? We're dealing with scalars in ##\mathbb R## (and possibly ##\mathbb C##) here, and scalar addition commutes in ##\mathbb R##. It could be instructive to write out the indexing of the sums for these 4 different cases.

Some care is needed when ##\infty## is involved, but you've passed the absolute convergence test based on line 2 of your picture. With absolute convergence out of the way

So the question is either just about indexing or commutativity of addition in reals? Or something else?

StoneTemplePython said:
I'm not really sure I understand what the question is?
The question is to prove, that the summation of absolute convergent series doesn't depend on the order.

yikes. I didn't read this carefully enough.

To the extent everything is real non-negative (and not identically zero which is easy to handle) the convergent sum in line 2 is #S \gt 0##, and we can renormalize / assume without loss of generality that it sums to one. Since the anti-diagonal summing is just a re-partitioning argument (union of disjoint sets) it would seem to motivate countable additivity axiom in probability. But I don't think this is what the problem is looking for, nor is it restricted to non-negative reals.

1. What does "convergence" mean in the context of a double summation using diagonals?

"Convergence" refers to the behavior of a double summation as the number of terms increases. If the sum of the terms approaches a constant value as the number of terms increases, then the summation is said to "converge".

2. How is convergence of a double summation using diagonals determined?

Convergence can be determined through various methods, such as using mathematical tests like the ratio test or the comparison test, or by observing the patterns of the terms in the summation.

3. What is the significance of using diagonals in a double summation?

Using diagonals in a double summation allows for a more efficient and organized way of calculating the sum of terms. It also helps to reveal any patterns or relationships between the terms, which can aid in determining the convergence of the summation.

4. Can a double summation using diagonals diverge?

Yes, a double summation using diagonals can diverge if the sum of the terms does not approach a constant value as the number of terms increases. This can happen if the terms in the summation increase at a rapid rate or if there is no clear pattern or relationship between the terms.

5. How can the convergence of a double summation using diagonals be applied in real-life scenarios?

The concept of convergence of a double summation using diagonals is commonly used in areas such as economics, physics, and computer science. It can help in analyzing the behavior of complex systems and predicting their future states. For example, it can be used in financial forecasting or in predicting the trajectory of a projectile.