1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence test question

1. Nov 17, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    How may I know whether the series ((-1)^n)[cos (3^n)x]^3/(3^n) converges/diverges?Should I use the Leibniz Criterion?
    It is stated that (cos a)^3 = (1/4)(3cos a + cos 3a)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The series is not alternating, despite the factor of (-1)n, so I don't see that the Leibniz Criterion applies. I also don't see that the hint is helpful.

For any n, the terms in your series are bounded below by -1/(3n) and bounded above by 1/(3n), both of which are terms in geometric series.

4. Nov 17, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is that really an x in the series?
    [itex]\displaystyle (-1)^n\frac{\cos^3( (3^n)x)}{3^n}[/itex]​

If so, the divergence/convergence certainly may depend upon x.

5. Nov 17, 2012 #4
    That is indeed x in the formula.
    Mark44, I am still not sure how to go about it. May you please assist and/or elaborate further?

6. Nov 17, 2012 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The hint is very useful. You have a cos3() in the expression for the series, and the hint gives you a substitution for that. Try it.

7. Nov 17, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As Mark said, the series is not an alternating series.

In fact it is alternating for a few specific values of x, namely when x is an integer multiple of π .

It can also be a constant series with 0 as the constant if x is an odd half-integer multiple of π .

... But to help you carry on with the problem:

What is the range of cos(x), and cos3(x) ?

Use the squeeze theorem.

8. Nov 21, 2012 #7
    Why would the sum of this series be equal to 0.75cos(x)? I managed to express this series as a telescopic summation and thus merely (1/4)[-cos3x - ((1/3)^n)cos(3^(n+1)x)] remain in the sum. Won't ((1/3)^n)cos(3^(n+1)x) be equal to zero as n->infinity? Hence, why won't the sum be -0.25cos3x?

9. Nov 21, 2012 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Does the sum start at n=0 or n=1? That would account for the different results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook