Convergence Test for Series with Cosine Cubed Terms

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence/divergence of a series and the potential use of the Leibniz Criterion. It is stated that the hint given may be helpful, but the terms in the series are bounded and the series is not an alternating series. The range of cos(x) and cos3(x) is mentioned, and the squeeze theorem is suggested. The discussion also touches on the sum of the series and its starting point.
peripatein
Hi,
How may I know whether the series ((-1)^n)[cos (3^n)x]^3/(3^n) converges/diverges?Should I use the Leibniz Criterion?
It is stated that (cos a)^3 = (1/4)(3cos a + cos 3a)

Physics news on Phys.org
peripatein said:
Hi,
How may I know whether the series ((-1)^n)[cos (3^n)x]^3/(3^n) converges/diverges?Should I use the Leibniz Criterion?
The series is not alternating, despite the factor of (-1)n, so I don't see that the Leibniz Criterion applies. I also don't see that the hint is helpful.

For any n, the terms in your series are bounded below by -1/(3n) and bounded above by 1/(3n), both of which are terms in geometric series.

peripatein said:
Hi,
Is that really an x in the series?
[itex]\displaystyle (-1)^n\frac{\cos^3( (3^n)x)}{3^n}[/itex]​

If so, the divergence/convergence certainly may depend upon x.

That is indeed x in the formula.
Mark44, I am still not sure how to go about it. May you please assist and/or elaborate further?

The hint is very useful. You have a cos3() in the expression for the series, and the hint gives you a substitution for that. Try it.

As Mark said, the series is not an alternating series.

In fact it is alternating for a few specific values of x, namely when x is an integer multiple of π .

It can also be a constant series with 0 as the constant if x is an odd half-integer multiple of π .

... But to help you carry on with the problem:

What is the range of cos(x), and cos3(x) ?

Use the squeeze theorem.

Why would the sum of this series be equal to 0.75cos(x)? I managed to express this series as a telescopic summation and thus merely (1/4)[-cos3x - ((1/3)^n)cos(3^(n+1)x)] remain in the sum. Won't ((1/3)^n)cos(3^(n+1)x) be equal to zero as n->infinity? Hence, why won't the sum be -0.25cos3x?

peripatein said:
I managed to express this series as a telescopic summation and thus merely (1/4)[-cos3x - ((1/3)^n)cos(3^(n+1)x)] remain in the sum.
Does the sum start at n=0 or n=1? That would account for the different results.

What is a convergence test?

A convergence test is a method used to determine whether a series (a sequence of numbers) converges or diverges. It helps to determine if the sum of the terms in a series approaches a finite value or not.

Why is it important to perform a convergence test?

Performing a convergence test is important because it allows us to determine if a series converges or diverges. This is crucial in many mathematical and scientific applications, as it helps us to understand the behavior of a sequence and make accurate predictions.

What are the different types of convergence tests?

There are several types of convergence tests, including the ratio test, the root test, the integral test, and the comparison test. Each test has its own specific criteria and is used depending on the properties of the series.

How do you know which convergence test to use?

The choice of which convergence test to use depends on the properties of the series being evaluated. For example, if the series contains factorial terms, the ratio test may be the most appropriate. It is important to understand the properties of each test and apply the one that best suits the series at hand.

What are the limitations of convergence tests?

Convergence tests are not foolproof and may not always give accurate results. Some series may not converge or diverge using traditional convergence tests, and alternative methods may need to be used. Additionally, convergence tests may not work for series with rapidly increasing or decreasing terms.