Convergence or Divergence? Tips for Solving Tricky Series Problems

• Thread starter weesiang_loke
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement is trying to determine if a series converges or diverges. It is not conclusive by the divergence test. However, the Cauchy condensation test does work and converges the series.
weesiang_loke

Homework Statement

inf
[tex]\sum[/tex] ( [tex]\sqrt[n]{n}[/tex] - cos ([tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex] ) *** edited
n=1

the series converges or diverges?

Homework Equations

ratio test, dirichlet's test, comparison test, etc

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried a lot of method but still cannot get the answer...
from what i know, limit n to inf of n^(1/n) is 1 but limit n to inf of cos (1/n) is also one. so the divergence test cannot applied here.
besides, i tried the root test and ratio test but still cannot get the answer?
any help or hint would be appreciated... thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\sqrt[n](n)+\cos(1/n)}[/tex]??

not limit but summation, a series

even if you take limit that way the answer will be zero. so it is not conclusive by divergence test..

The limit of n^{1/n} + cos(1/n) is NOT zero

limit n to inf n^(1/n) is one, right?
and limit n to inf cos(1/n) = cos (0) = 1.
so the sum of two limit is zero. pls tell me what i did wrong.. thanks

1+1 = 2, not 0.

sorry i copied the wrong question. it should be minus instead of plus

Last edited:
What about the integral test? I believe that may be conclusive...
Or the Cauchy condensation test?

for integral test... we need to at least to integrate (x^(1/x) - cos (1/x)). but i can't find a way to integrate x^(1/x) or cos (1/x)...
(may be my current understanding of calculus is not sufficient for the integration)

and i am not sure how to apply the Cauchy condensation test...
can you pls show me how to begin...
thank you very much...

Hmm, you are correct in that the integral test would be rather messy :grumpy: to bad...

But I still believe that the Cauchy condensation test would work. It says that

[tex]\sum{u_n}~\text{converges iff}~\sum{2^nu_{2^n}}~\text{converges}[/tex]

So, your series converges iff

[tex]\sum{2^n(\sqrt[n]{2^n}-\cos(2^{-n}))}[/tex]

converges. I believe that this simplifies the integral a bit...

This question is far too difficult for your level. The integral test or Cauchy's condensation tests won't work here, its not even immediately clear if the terms are monotonically decreasing, which are requirements for those tests. There is no simple solution, but here's a sketch of the solution for other peoples benefit.

[tex] \sqrt[n]{n} = e^{ \frac{\log n}{n}} = 1 + \frac{ \log n}{n} + O\left( \frac{\log^2 n}{n^2} \right) [/tex]

and [tex] \cos \left( \frac{1}{n} \right) = 1 + O\left(\frac{1}{n^2}\right) [/tex]

so [tex] \sqrt[n]{n} - \cos \left( \frac{1}{n} \right) = \frac{\log n}{n} + O\left( \frac{\log^2 n}{n^2} \right) [/tex], and since [itex] \sum \frac{\log n}{n} [/itex] diverges (comparison with harmonic series, Cauchy Condensation test or integral test all work easily for that), the sum in question diverges as well.

But, Cauchy's condensation test DOES work here! It gives us that we need to check convergence of

[tex]\sum{2^{n+1}-2^n\cos(1/2^n)}[/tex]

Since [tex]2^n\cos(1/2^n)\leq 2^n[/tex], we have that

[tex]\sum{2^{n+1}-2^n}\leq \sum{2^{n+1}-2^n\cos(1/2^n)}[/tex]

and the left sum diverges, so the right sum does to...

I think i got it now.
Thanks for the help, micromass, Gib Z and JG89.
Both methods actually work.

God bless you all and have a nice day.

Cheers,
weesiang_loke

1. What does it mean for a sequence to converge or diverge?

Convergence and divergence are terms used to describe the behavior of a sequence of numbers. A sequence is said to converge if its terms get closer and closer to a single fixed value as the sequence progresses. In contrast, a sequence is said to diverge if its terms do not approach a fixed value and instead get increasingly larger or smaller.

2. How can I determine if a sequence converges or diverges?

To determine if a sequence converges or diverges, you can use several methods such as the limit test, the comparison test, and the ratio test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the sequence's terms and comparing them to known convergent or divergent sequences.

3. What is the significance of convergence or divergence in mathematics?

The concept of convergence and divergence is essential in mathematics because it allows us to understand the behavior of a sequence and make predictions about its future values. It also plays a crucial role in various mathematical fields, such as calculus, where it is used to define concepts like limits and continuity.

4. Can a sequence both converge and diverge?

No, a sequence cannot both converge and diverge at the same time. A sequence can only have one of these two behaviors. However, it is possible for a sequence to neither converge nor diverge, in which case it is said to oscillate or be chaotic.

5. How does the behavior of a sequence affect its summation?

If a sequence converges, its summation will also converge to a finite value. However, if a sequence diverges, its summation will either diverge to infinity or oscillate between different values. Therefore, understanding the convergence or divergence of a sequence is crucial in determining the convergence or divergence of its summation.