Calculating Object Distance for Magnified Real and Virtual Images

In summary, a converging lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, used to bend and focus light rays. A converging lens problem involves analyzing the behavior of light rays as they pass through a converging lens, and can be solved using the thin lens equation. Some common applications of converging lenses include eyeglasses, magnifying glasses, and cameras. The main differences between a converging lens and a diverging lens are their shape, focal point, and the type of image they form.
iurod

Homework Statement

(a)How far from a 50.0-mm-focal-length lens must an object beplaced if its image is to be magnified 2.00 x and be real? (b)What if the image is to be virtual and magnified 2.00x?

Homework Equations

m = -di/do

1/do+ 1/di = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

m = -di/do solve for do
do = -di/2

Now i have to use the lens equation:
1/do+ 1/di = 1/f
-(2/di) + 1/di = 1/f
-1m/di = 1/f
di= -1m/(1/f)

di = (-1 x 2)/(1/50mm)
di = -100

This is what i got for part a, and I know it is totally wrong because to be a real image di>0 which is not what i got.

any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The real image is inverted, so the magnification is negative, -2. ehild

Is a real image upright or inverted? What does that tell you about m?

EDIT: oops, ehild beat me to it.

so for this part:
1/do+ 1/di = 1/f
-(2/di) + 1/di = 1/f
-1m/di = 1/f
di= -1m/(1/f)

di = (-1 x 2)/(1/50mm)
di = -100

it should be:
di= -1m/(1/f)

di = (-1 x -2)/(1/50mm)
di = +100mm

so do = -di/m = -100/-2 = +50mm

in the back of the book it says the answer should be +75mm.

iurod said:
so for this part:
1/do+ 1/di = 1/f
-(2/di) + 1/di = 1/f
You are still saying that do=-di/2. That will not be true, according to the help we gave you earlier.

A real image is inverted and m should be negative

m= -di/do
-2= -di/do
do= -di/-2

If this is correct then
1/do+ 1/di = 1/f
-2/-di + 1/di = 1/f
hmmm I'm stuck after this

Any more advice on this?

Thanks!

iurod said:
A real image is inverted and m should be negative

m= -di/do
-2= -di/do
do= -di/-2
Correct, but you can simplify "-di/-2"

If this is correct then
1/do+ 1/di = 1/f
-2/-di + 1/di = 1/f
hmmm I'm stuck after this
You are told what f is. Use that value, then you can solve the equation for di.

FAQ: Calculating Object Distance for Magnified Real and Virtual Images

1. What is a converging lens?

A converging lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. It is also known as a convex lens. It is used to bend and focus light rays, bringing them together at a single point called the focal point.

2. What is a converging lens problem?

A converging lens problem is a type of optics problem that involves analyzing the behavior of light rays as they pass through a converging lens. It typically involves finding the location and characteristics of the image formed by the lens.

3. How do you solve a converging lens problem?

To solve a converging lens problem, you will need to use the thin lens equation, which relates the distance of the object from the lens (u), the distance of the image from the lens (v), and the focal length of the lens (f). By setting up and solving this equation, you can find the location and characteristics of the image formed by the lens.

4. What are some common applications of converging lenses?

Converging lenses have many practical uses in our daily lives. Some common applications include eyeglasses, magnifying glasses, and cameras. They are also used in telescopes, microscopes, and projectors.

5. What are the differences between a converging lens and a diverging lens?

A converging lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, while a diverging lens is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges. A converging lens brings light rays together at a focal point, while a diverging lens spreads them out. Lastly, a converging lens forms real, inverted images, while a diverging lens forms virtual, upright images.

Back