How Do You Convert kV to keV?

• Thread starter tica86
  • Start date
In summary, kV and keV are not directly convertible as they measure different quantities - electromotive force and energy, respectively. However, V can be expressed as J/C and this can help understand the relationship between the two units. When dealing with electron transitions, keV is often used as it is easier to work with in particle physics.
tica86
Can anyone tell me the conversion between kV and keV??

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

V is used for electromotive force, eV is energy and actually means the energy gained by an electron moving through a 1 V potential difference. So you can't really convert between the two. Perhaps it would be more useful to picture V = J/C, and then you can see the connection.

Sethric said:
V is used for electromotive force, eV is energy and actually means the energy gained by an electron moving through a 1 V potential difference. So you can't really convert between the two. Perhaps it would be more useful to picture V = J/C, and then you can see the connection.

Oh ok, there was just a problem that my professor did the question was a potential 12.00kV is used to produce x-rays. (A) what is the minimum wavelength possible for the x-rays?
------He started by doing 12.00kV to 12.00keV=

12.00* (1.602175*10^-16J)=1.9222*10^-15 J so that's why I was confused with the 12.00, I understand the conversion to J.

Ah, ok, so your professor was showing you what energy to expect if you put an electron through a 12kV potential.

Sethric said:
Ah, ok, so your professor was showing you what energy to expect if you put an electron through a 12kV potential.

Oh ok so whatever number given in kV will always be the same for keV?

tica86 said:
Oh ok so whatever number given in kV will always be the same for keV?

since your just showing what energy to expect if you put an electron through a kV potential?

For something that carries a charge equivalent to one electron. The charge is important for the transition, since you are multiplying coulombs by joules per coulomb to find joules. It's just that an electron volt can be seen as a particular amount of joules. It's an ease of use thing, since energy expressed in eV is so much easier to deal with in particle physics, et al.

Sethric said:
For something that carries a charge equivalent to one electron. The charge is important for the transition, since you are multiplying coulombs by joules per coulomb to find joules. It's just that an electron volt can be seen as a particular amount of joules. It's an ease of use thing, since energy expressed in eV is so much easier to deal with in particle physics, et al.

Oh ok, got it. Thank you!

FAQ: How Do You Convert kV to keV?

1. How do I convert kV to keV?

To convert from kV (kilovolts) to keV (kiloelectron volts), simply multiply the value in kV by 1,000. For example, 5 kV is equal to 5,000 keV.

2. What is the relationship between kV and keV?

kV and keV are both units of energy, with kV being a larger unit compared to keV. 1 kV is equal to 1,000 keV.

3. Can I use the same conversion factor for AC and DC circuits?

Yes, the conversion factor of 1,000 can be used for both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits. However, it is important to note that kV and keV are typically used in different contexts. kV is commonly used in high voltage applications, while keV is used in atomic and subatomic energy levels.

4. How do I convert back from keV to kV?

To convert from keV to kV, divide the value in keV by 1,000. For example, 10,000 keV is equal to 10 kV.

5. Why are kV and keV used for different purposes?

kV and keV are used for different purposes because they represent energy levels on different scales. kV is typically used for macroscopic energy levels, such as in power systems and medical imaging, while keV is used for microscopic energy levels in atomic and nuclear processes. This allows for more precise and accurate measurements in different contexts.

Back