Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert 110 house current to 12 v.

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    I have a super winch 12 volt LP 8500 that I want to use using an inverter from my household current. The motor is 12volt 4.5 hp 3.3 kw.
    I have tried to use a battery with my battery charger but the battery does not hold enough charge without have a vehicle that has an alternator.
    Is there a good inverter that would allow me to use this winch without having to use a truck.
    Thanks,

Bits

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

3.3kW is 30 Amps at 110Vrms. That's near the limit for a house branch circuit...

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

....and 275 amps at 12V!! I'm not sure there is an easy way to continuously power this from a household circuit, but if you are only trying to run it a few minutes at a time, a bank of car batteries with a big charger would let you use it a few hours a day. Here's a 90 A charger: http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/brands/iota/IOTA-DLS1290.html

Perhaps you could wire 3 of them in parallel?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook