Convert 243 to Base 3 using Digit 5

• MHB
  • Thread starter gEOdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, there are several types of number systems, including decimal, binary, octal, hexadecimal, and Roman numeral. The decimal number system is the most commonly used and utilizes place value to represent numbers. The binary number system is used in digital electronics and only uses two digits (0 and 1) to represent numbers. The purpose of a number system is to represent and manipulate quantities efficiently. To convert numbers between different systems, you can use the concept of place value or online converters/formulas.
gEOdude
Guys Can you help me out, i don't know if I've done this right.

Question:
243 is a decimal number. You must convert it to base n, where n will be computed using the
digit (d) 5.
For example if your digit (d) was "7" , then n is
calculated as: n = d % 6 +2(where d=7)=7%6 + 2 = 3My Working:

n = d % 6 + 2 (where d=5) = 5%6 + 2 = 3
243 to the base of 3 = {100000}_{3}

Physics news on Phys.org
HELPMEHELPME said:
n = d % 6 + 2 (where d=5) = 5%6 + 2 = 3
Sometimes, e.g., in the C programming language, % denotes taking the remainder.

Related to Convert 243 to Base 3 using Digit 5

What are the different types of number systems?

There are several types of number systems, including decimal, binary, octal, hexadecimal, and Roman numeral. Each system has a unique way of representing and manipulating numbers.

What is the decimal number system?

The decimal number system, also known as the base-10 system, is the most commonly used number system. It consists of ten digits (0-9) and utilizes place value to represent numbers. The value of each digit is determined by its position in the number.

How does the binary number system work?

The binary number system, also known as the base-2 system, is used in digital electronics and computer programming. It only uses two digits (0 and 1) to represent numbers, and each digit's value is determined by its position in the number.

What is the purpose of a number system?

A number system is used to represent and manipulate quantities in a structured and organized way. It allows us to perform mathematical operations and solve complex problems efficiently.

How do I convert numbers between different number systems?

To convert a number from one system to another, you can use the concept of place value. Write the number in its original system and then determine its value in the new system by breaking it down into its respective place values. You can also use online converters or conversion formulas for more complex conversions.