1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting mks energy density to cgs

1. Sep 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the SI system, the energy density of the electric and magnetic fields is:

u = \frac {\epsilon_{0} E^{2}}{2} + \frac{B^{2}}{2 \mu_{0}}

From the equation above, derive an exact expression for the energy density [tex] U [/tex] in the Gaussian system of units.

3. The attempt at a solution

Obviously the energy densities must be proportional to the squares of the intensities. So, I can start with

[tex] U_{tot} = E^{2} + B^{2} [/tex]

I know that cgs eliminates the need for epsilon and mu, but I haven't a clue as to how to start from that one equation. Previously in the assignment, my instructor mentions that in Coulomb's law, [tex] \epsilon_{0} [/tex] has been eliminated by redefining the electric charge in the Coulomb law ([tex] \frac{q_{1} q_{2}}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \rightarrow q_{1} q_{2} [/tex]) and [tex] \mu_{0} [/tex] has been eliminated by using the speed of light: [tex] \mu_{0} \rightarrow \frac{1}{c^{2} \epsilon_{0}} [/tex].

However I haven't a clue as to how to proceed with this information. Any hints would be great! Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's an epsilon and a mu in the cgs system as well. There's something linked with #-s and 4\pi-s that differs. On a second thought, since i haven't used cgs since college, go and check the 3-rd and 2-nd editions of JD Jackson's electrodynamics book to see everything exactly.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  4. May 1, 2011 #3

Hopefully you found this one already:

If [tex] \frac {1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} = 1[/tex], then [tex]\epsilon_{0} = \frac {1}{4 \pi}[/tex], and likewise for magnetic field.

Although, often epsilon is not what it seems in cgs. It really depends on whether you are looking at emu or esu. I recommend this document, which gives you a little taste of the complications of calling [tex] 4 \pi = [/tex] 1, or [tex] \epsilon_{0} =[/tex] 1, despite it's readability difficulties:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?