Can Hydrogen Power Be Cost-Effectively Extracted Directly at Gas Stations?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Salient Resources has proposed a plan to retrofit existing gas stations for hydrogen power using a patent-pending energy source that can extract hydrogen directly at the pump. They are seeking $50,000 in research capital to finalize the design of the energy machine and hydrogen extraction technique. However, there are concerns and questions regarding the feasibility, safety, scalability, and costs associated with this plan. Further research and development is needed to address these concerns and ensure the success of this technology in the clean energy market.
andrewbb
Executive Summary

This plan retrofits existing gas stations for hydrogen power with no distribution system. Salient Resources has designed a patent-pending energy source using naturally occurring processes that can provide the energy required to extract hydrogen directly at the pump. This eliminates all distribution and the only input to the gas station (hydrogen station) is water.

Salient Resources is seeking $50,000 in research capital to finalize the design of the energy machine and hydrogen extraction technique. Salient Resources holds patents for these processes, but is not in the business of building the machines. Those machines can be built by the oil company, utility company, or subcontracted to another business.

The perceived problem with hydrogen-powered vehicles is that more power is required to extract hydrogen from water than can be harnessed from the hydrogen itself. SR's capillary energy machine eliminates this problem by making the energy source nearly free using only temperature differential and natural chemical processes (eg. sunlight and water evaporation/condensation). Energy for on-site hydrogen extraction is then available with no distribution system.

At its simplest, the patent-pending capillary energy machine operates as a miniature rain machine. Water evaporates, capillary action pulls water up between the air molecules, the water cools and condenses at the top, and the re-condensed water is channelled back down to power a turbine. To maximize efficiency and for use in colder climates, some research is needed to find more efficient fluids (eg. mercury or argon). The machine uses natural processes and heat differential to operate. Heat differential can be realized through sunlight or through building a tall machine to maximize the heat differential between the warm surface on the ground vs. the cooler air a few hundred feet up.

Because the capillary energy machine utilizes natural processes that are well known to most scientists, the research cost required to design a machine of sufficient power for this purpose will cost less than $50,000. Chemists know the details of how these processes work, but never understood how capillary action could be used to build an efficient energy machine.

Salient Resources holds another patent that will likely make hydrogen extraction at the pump much less energy intensive, but is still in research phases.

Business Description

Salient Resources' vision is a clean energy world with capillary energy machines providing the power for individual gas stations. Hydrogen is extracted from water directly at the pump. Estimated costs for the energy machine, hydrogen extraction machine and pump is less than $50,000/gas station. The marginal cost to the hydrogen will be the cost of the water plus a patent fee of $0.01/liter (patent fee will likely fall as the technology is adopted). This should enable retail costs to remain below $0.25/liter (including taxes, overhead, retailer profit, oil company profit, etc.)

Possible breakdown of $0.25/liter cost to consumer:
Taxes $.05
Retailer overhead $.05
Retailer profit $.05
Oil company profit $.05
Patent fee $.01
Fixed costs/maintenance $.04

Attachments

• CapillaryEnergy.jpg
    CapillaryEnergy.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org

Variable costs $.05
Total cost to consumer $0.25

Thank you for sharing your plan to retrofit existing gas stations for hydrogen power without a distribution system. Your proposal to use a patent-pending energy source that utilizes natural processes to extract hydrogen directly at the pump is intriguing. However, as a scientist, I have some concerns and questions regarding the feasibility and practicality of this plan.

Firstly, while I understand that your company holds patents for these processes, I am curious to know more about the specific techniques and technologies that will be used for hydrogen extraction. How does your capillary energy machine work, and how will it be powered? What is the efficiency of this machine, and how will it be able to provide enough energy for on-site hydrogen extraction? I also have questions about the safety and environmental impact of this energy source, as well as the potential scalability and reliability of the technology.

Additionally, I am interested in learning more about the research that has been conducted to support your claims that the research cost required to design a machine of sufficient power for this purpose will cost less than $50,000. Can you provide more information about the studies and data that have been used to support this claim? Have any independent researchers or experts reviewed and validated your findings?

Furthermore, I am concerned about the potential challenges and costs associated with building and maintaining these capillary energy machines. While you mention that the machines can be built by oil companies, utility companies, or subcontracted to other businesses, do you have a plan in place to ensure that these companies will be willing and able to invest in and maintain these machines? Will there be any training or support provided to ensure proper installation and operation of the machines?

Lastly, while your estimated cost of $0.25 per liter of hydrogen may seem reasonable, I am interested in learning more about the breakdown of these costs and how they compare to the current costs of other energy sources. How will your technology be able to compete with traditional fossil fuels in terms of cost and efficiency?

In conclusion, while I appreciate your innovative approach to providing clean energy solutions, I believe that further research and development is needed to address some of the concerns and questions I have raised. I look forward to hearing more about your progress and developments in this area.

Variable costs $.05

I believe the concept of converting to hydrogen power has great potential for reducing our dependence on fossil fuels and reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The use of hydrogen as a clean energy source has been widely studied and has shown to have numerous benefits, including zero emissions and abundant availability.

However, there are some concerns with this plan as outlined in the executive summary. First, the idea of retrofitting existing gas stations for hydrogen power with no distribution system seems unrealistic. While the use of natural processes to extract hydrogen directly at the pump is innovative, it may not be practical or cost-effective to implement on a large scale.

Additionally, the claim that the energy machine will only cost $50,000 for each gas station is questionable. It is important to carefully consider the costs associated with building and maintaining these machines, as well as potential safety concerns.

Furthermore, the statement that the research cost for designing a machine of sufficient power will be less than $50,000 is not backed up with evidence or a detailed explanation. I would need to see more data and research to support this claim.

There are also concerns with the estimated cost of $0.25/liter for hydrogen, including the patent fee and other costs. It is important to consider the overall cost to consumers and whether this will truly be a viable and affordable alternative to traditional gasoline.

Overall, while the concept of hydrogen power is promising, more research and careful consideration of the practicality and cost-effectiveness of this plan is needed before implementing it on a large scale.

Related to Can Hydrogen Power Be Cost-Effectively Extracted Directly at Gas Stations?

What is hydrogen power and how does it work?

Hydrogen power is a form of renewable energy that uses hydrogen gas to generate electricity. It works by converting the chemical energy stored in hydrogen into electrical energy through a process called electrolysis.

Why should we consider converting to hydrogen power?

Converting to hydrogen power can have many benefits, including reduced carbon emissions, increased energy efficiency, and potential cost savings. Hydrogen is also a widely available and clean fuel source, making it a sustainable alternative to traditional fossil fuels.

What are the challenges of converting to hydrogen power?

One of the main challenges of converting to hydrogen power is the cost of production and infrastructure development. It also requires a significant amount of energy to produce hydrogen, which may come from non-renewable sources if not carefully managed.

Is hydrogen power safe to use?

Yes, hydrogen power is generally considered safe when handled and used properly. However, like any form of energy, there are potential risks and safety measures that must be followed. Implementing proper safety protocols and regulations can help mitigate these risks.

What are the current applications of hydrogen power?

Currently, hydrogen power is primarily used in transportation, such as fuel cell vehicles and hydrogen-powered buses. It is also being explored for use in stationary power systems, including backup power for buildings and homes.