Converting units for Mass Estimates of Astronomical bodies

In summary, when converting your mass estimate from h70-1 units to h50-1 units, you should divide by h50 and then multiply by the ratio of h70 and h50. The difference in values could be due to factors such as different cosmologies, correction effects, or using different codes/methods. Additionally, when working with a sample of galaxies with different redshifts, make sure to use the appropriate Hubble parameter for each galaxy in your calculations.
Radiohannah
Hello!
I'm new so I hope I've posted in the right place
One quickie please, if anyone can help me :-)
I hope to get my mass estimates in units of h70-1 x 10{blah} Msun

However! I have found some values in units of just x10{blah} Msun (*)
Where they have used h50 in their calculations...

In order to convert it, should I divide my mass estimate (*) by this h50 (so by '50' ) to get the units of h50 -1, then convert it from there into h70?

I'm asking because after I perform that calculation, the masses are significantly smaller than the values which are already quoted in units of h70-1 x 10{blah} Msun

Any help or guidance would be super appreciated! I'm quite baffled as to where I am going wrong :S

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct in your calculation - you should divide your mass estimate by the h50 to get the units of h50-1. From there, you can multiply it by the ratio of h70 and h50 to get the units of h70-1. The difference in the values you're getting could be due to a few factors. First, it's possible that the values you're comparing against have been calculated using a slightly different cosmology or have been corrected for different effects. Second, if you're using different codes or methods to calculate your mass estimates, then the answers may differ due to differences in the assumptions and parameters used in each code/method. Finally, if you're using a sample of galaxies with a wide range of redshifts, then the Hubble parameter used in your calculations (h70 or h50) will also affect the results. This is because the Hubble parameter changes with redshift, and so you'll need to use the appropriate value for each galaxy when calculating its mass. I hope this helps!

1. How do I convert units for mass estimates of astronomical bodies?

To convert units for mass estimates of astronomical bodies, you can use the conversion factor of 1 solar mass = 1.989 x 10^30 kilograms. This means that if you have the mass of an astronomical body in solar masses, you can multiply it by 1.989 x 10^30 to get the mass in kilograms.

2. What is the standard unit of measurement for mass in astronomy?

The standard unit of measurement for mass in astronomy is the solar mass, which is equal to the mass of our Sun. It is often used to measure the mass of stars, galaxies, and other large astronomical bodies.

3. How do I convert from kilograms to solar masses?

To convert from kilograms to solar masses, you can divide the mass in kilograms by the conversion factor of 1.989 x 10^30. For example, if an astronomical body has a mass of 5 x 10^30 kilograms, you would divide it by 1.989 x 10^30 to get a mass of 2.516 solar masses.

4. Are there other commonly used units for mass in astronomy?

Yes, besides the solar mass, astronomers also commonly use the Earth mass and the Jupiter mass to measure the mass of smaller astronomical bodies. These units are equivalent to the mass of the Earth (5.972 x 10^24 kilograms) and the mass of Jupiter (1.898 x 10^27 kilograms), respectively.

5. What is the significance of using different units for mass in astronomy?

Using different units for mass in astronomy allows us to better understand the scale and size of different astronomical bodies. For example, expressing the mass of a star in solar masses can give us a better sense of its relative size compared to other stars. It also allows for easier calculations and comparisons between different masses in astronomy.