Solving Delta Function Convolution with Sin Wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of solving a convolution integral involving a delta function and a sine wave. The speaker is struggling with integrating the delta function and seeks assistance in solving this problem. The expert suggests using the sampling property to simplify the integral and provides a hint on how to approach the problem. The speaker expresses appreciation for the help.
error 401
hi

I really need your help ...

for linear time invariant system

f(t) =f1(t) (convolution) f2(t)
f(t) = ∫f1(t).f2 ( t-T)
or f(t) = ∫f1(t-T).f2(t)

where f1(t) = delta function = δ(t).δ(t-2)
and f2(t) = sine wave = sin ( ∏t )

how i can solve this ... my problem is : how can i make this integration with impulse ??

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
i forget that ... the limits of integration from (0 ) to (2)

error 401 said:
hi

I really need your help ...

for linear time invariant system

f(t) =f1(t) (convolution) f2(t)
f(t) = ∫f1(t).f2 ( t-T)
or f(t) = ∫f1(t-T).f2(t)

where f1(t) = delta function = δ(t).δ(t-2)
and f2(t) = sine wave = sin ( ∏t )

how i can solve this ... my problem is : how can i make this integration with impulse ??

thanks in advance

First, you need to get your convolution integral right.
Then, what do you mean by " f1(t) = delta function = δ(t).δ(t-2) "? It's not an equation I can make sense of ...

rude man said:
First, you need to get your convolution integral right.
Then, what do you mean by " f1(t) = delta function = δ(t).δ(t-2) "? It's not an equation I can make sense of ...

i mean how can i solve this integral

∫δ(t).δ(t-2)sin(∏t)

[tex]\delta(t)\delta(t-2) = 0[/tex]

And the convolution of a function with zero is zero. Your definition of the convolution integral appears incorrect. I suspect you are not giving us all the details, because the problem makes no sense. What was the original problem? (I know there was one since the limits of integration have already simplified from -inf to inf to 0 to 2)

edit:
I'll go ahead and throw out a property that may be helpful, though what you've given us so far doesn't indicate you will use it. The sampling property states

[tex]\int\limits_{a}^{b}\delta(x-c)f(x)dx=f(c)[/tex]

if b > c > a

This property leads to a very simple result when convolving some function f(t) with an impulse d(t - c).

Last edited:
the original problem is : convolution between 2 function ( sine wave and delta function ) but when he sketch delta function ..gives two vertical lines ..one of them at x=0 upward and the other at x=2 downward ...

so how can i solve this ?!

and I really appreciate your assistance :)

error 401 said:
the original problem is : convolution between 2 function ( sine wave and delta function ) but when he sketch delta function ..gives two vertical lines ..one of them at x=0 upward and the other at x=2 downward ...

so how can i solve this ?!

and I really appreciate your assistance :)

That is just the sum of two Dirac delta functions.

[tex]f_1(x) = \delta(x) + \delta(x-2)[/tex]

Just write out the convolution integral and use the sampling rule.

:D

thank you so much ..

1. What is a delta function?

A delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical concept that represents an infinitely narrow and tall function with an area of 1 under the curve. It is often used in physics and engineering to model point sources or impulses.

2. How is a delta function convolved with a sine wave?

The convolution of a delta function with a sine wave involves integrating the product of the two functions over a certain range. In other words, it is a mathematical operation that combines the characteristics of both functions to produce a new function.

3. Why is it useful to solve delta function convolution with sine waves?

Solving delta function convolution with sine waves is useful in signal processing, specifically in the analysis of systems with impulse responses. It allows for the simulation and analysis of real-world scenarios, such as the effect of a sudden input on a system.

4. What are some real-world applications of solving delta function convolution with sine waves?

Some examples of real-world applications include the analysis of electrical circuits, the study of vibrations in mechanical systems, and the simulation of acoustic signals in sound engineering. It is also used in image processing to enhance and filter images.

5. What are some techniques for solving delta function convolution with sine waves?

There are several techniques for solving delta function convolution with sine waves, including graphical methods, numerical methods, and analytical methods. Graphical methods involve plotting the functions and visually determining the convolution. Numerical methods use algorithms to approximate the convolution, while analytical methods use mathematical formulas to find the exact solution.