Convolution Theory Explained | Physics PhD Student Gareth

In summary, a Physics PhD student with a background in Chemistry is struggling to understand the Convolution theory and how to apply it in generating a c++ code for their research in condensed matter. They are seeking advice and resources on how to approach the convolution process. One suggestion is to multiply the Fourier transforms and then inverse Fourier transform the data.
Something els
Hi,

I am a Physics PhD student and am trying to understand the Convolution theory. My original background is Chemistry so I am finding the maths very difficult.

I work in condensed matter and want to generate a c++ code that will convolute some theoretical data I generate with a Gaussian, to simulate some experimental data.

I can do the first bits in c++ no problem, however I don't really know where to start with the convolution.

I was wondering if anyone knows the best sites, or books to read, or who can advise me on a walkthough of convolution.

Thanks

Gareth

Mathematics news on Phys.org

1. What is convolution theory and how is it used in physics?

Convolution theory is a mathematical concept that is used to describe the way that two functions interact with each other. In physics, it is often used to analyze how signals or waves interact with each other, such as in the case of sound waves or electromagnetic waves.

2. How does convolution theory relate to Fourier transforms?

Convolution theory is closely related to Fourier transforms, as they both involve breaking down a function into simpler components. In convolution theory, this is done by using a convolution integral, while Fourier transforms use complex exponential functions. Both approaches are useful for analyzing complex systems and signals in physics.

3. Can you provide an example of how convolution theory is used in physics?

One example of convolution theory in physics is in the analysis of electric circuits. The voltage and current in a circuit can be described by a convolution of the input signal and the circuit's transfer function. This allows us to understand how the circuit will respond to different input signals and design more efficient circuits.

4. What are some applications of convolution theory outside of physics?

Convolution theory has applications in various fields outside of physics, such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It is also used in engineering, economics, and statistics to model and analyze complex systems.

5. How can I learn more about convolution theory?

If you are interested in learning more about convolution theory, there are many resources available. You can start by studying mathematical textbooks on the subject, or take online courses and tutorials. You can also consult with a physics professor or researcher who specializes in this area for further guidance and resources.