Cooling Time for Air Conditioning

In summary, the cooling time for two rooms with the same capacity and function, but different airflows, will be different. Higher air flow will reduce the heat load more quickly than lower air flow.
Annindita94
TL;DR Summary
How to calculate cooling time
Please advise for cooling time on air conditioning.
I have a project and customer asked me to make a comparison between their requirement and my proposal. And here's the result.

1598521911690.png

Let's say that we provide a room with same capacity as above, function, delta T, load on that room, but ONLY air flow that is different, how can I know or calculate cooling time for both rooms?

Is it correct that higher air flow will be reduce heat load more faster that lower air flow? If that so, how about the time?
Maybe higher air flow can reduce and reach temp on 1 hour, and lower air flow will reduce temp on 1.5 hours.

Thank you so much for your help before.

Physics news on Phys.org
At the lower flow rate, in order to deliver the same BTU/hr, the cooled air must be delivered at a lower temperature. This will affect the mixing or homogeneity of the air in the conditioned space not the delivery of "cool". There may be slight variations from this ideal behavior because on dehumidification, but that will be small I believe.
So the issue is how well the air is mixed after delivery to the conditioned space. The rate of delivery of "cool" should be the same regardless, and the times should be the same.

Likes Annindita94, Lnewqban, russ_watters and 1 other person
I agree with hutchpd. Additionally:

'Cooling' (for human comfort) is a combination of temperature reduction and de-humidification. 'Faster' isn't necessarily 'better' in that situation. An ideally sized system will run 100% of the time on the hottest day of the year (maybe 95% to account for future global warming?). If this system is to be used intermittently, humidity removal will likely dominate the cooling time - the 2 systems aren't significantly different in that regard - the proposed unit will (theoretically) produce a lower humidity result. The differences between 'proposed' and 'required' are very small after allowing for variations due to actual duct/return performance.

Likes Annindita94 and russ_watters
"Cooling time" is not generally a useful consideration for sizing HVAC systems, and substantially oversizing can cause problems, depending on the system type. Oversizing can cause humidity problems, may reduce efficiency, and of course costs more.

Likes sophiecentaur and Annindita94
Bad: Higher airflow means more noise, less contact time in coil for dehumidification and additional heat transferring into supplied air from the blower motor.

Good: Higher airflow means longer throw of diffusers, less air stratification and hot pockets formation (if any) and more evaporative effect on human skin (which induces the perception of cooler environment).

Likes Annindita94 and russ_watters
russ_watters said:
"Cooling time" is not generally a useful consideration for sizing HVAC systems, and substantially oversizing can cause problems, depending on the system type. Oversizing can cause humidity problems, may reduce efficiency, and of course costs more.
That all makes sense but doesn't the optimal solution depend on the application. If AC is not used continuously and, as with heating systems, they are often used when no one needs them, then reaching a desired temperature quickly can be a good thing.

From what I have seen, the philosophy of AC seems to lag behind that of Heating. People are only too aware of the need for insulation in cold climates but not so much in hot. I think that point should be made in a thread like this.

1. How long does it take for an air conditioner to cool a room?

The cooling time for an air conditioner depends on various factors such as the size of the room, the efficiency of the AC unit, and the outside temperature. On average, it can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes for an air conditioner to cool a room.

2. Can I make my air conditioner cool a room faster?

There are a few things you can do to help your air conditioner cool a room faster. First, make sure all windows and doors are closed to prevent warm air from entering the room. Additionally, keeping the curtains or blinds closed can help block out sunlight and keep the room cooler. You can also set the AC to a lower temperature, but be aware that this will increase energy consumption.

3. How often should I run my air conditioner to keep my room cool?

The frequency of running your air conditioner depends on personal preference and the outside temperature. In general, it is recommended to run your AC for a few hours in the morning and evening to maintain a comfortable temperature. However, if the outside temperature is very high, you may need to run it more frequently.

4. Does the size of the room affect the cooling time for an air conditioner?

Yes, the size of the room does affect the cooling time for an air conditioner. A larger room will take longer to cool compared to a smaller room. It is important to choose an appropriately sized AC unit for the room you want to cool to ensure efficient cooling.

5. How can I tell if my air conditioner is cooling my room effectively?

The best way to determine if your air conditioner is cooling your room effectively is by using a thermometer. Place the thermometer in the room and check the temperature before and after running the AC for a while. If the temperature has dropped significantly, it means your air conditioner is cooling the room effectively.