1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinate Geometry

1. Dec 16, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sketch the curves with the following equations:
    a) y=5x^(3/4)
    b) y=-2x^(-3/2)

2. Relevant equations
    The general equation of curves (circles, parabola, ellipse, hyperbola)

3. The attempt at a solution
    It seems to me that this question is not exactly a coordinate geometry question. At first, I thought this is a parametric equation, but parametric equation use t instead of y. Then, I thought of substituting x with some other things. But that fails as well. (The fraction power make it not rational to be substituted by x^2, x^3 and so on.) The equation doesn't resemble general equation circles, parabola, ellipse, or hyperbola.

How should I attempt this question? Is equation of curves really useful to solve this question?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

You are given two functions y(x). Start with finding their domains.

4. Dec 16, 2006 #3
    There are other basic graphs of functions, so these would be some of them. Perahps it would be easier for you to re-write the fractional exponents. Well, that would be if you have gotten to that (or know how to).

I will let you know though, both of those equations don't resemble a circle, parabola, ellipse, or hyperbola.

As I said, try manipulating the exponents.

5. Dec 21, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As pointed out, these are not quadratic functions and so their graphs are not conic-sections (circle, ellipse, hyperbola, parabola). Basically, just calculate y for a number of x values and draw a smooth curve through the points. As radou said, you'd better check the domains.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?