Coordinate tetrads

• Thread starter Worldline
  • Start date
Dear Friends
Is there any coordinate tetrad in spacetime except Cartesian basis ?
since tetrad basis should be orthogonal (( In Lorentzian description ))and the only orthogonal basis is Cartesian ( the metric is (+1,-1,-1,-1 ) but in any other coordinate basis like Spherical metric is ( +1,-1,-r,-rsino ) and they aren't coordiante tetrad .

Answers and Replies

Dear Friends
Is there any coordinate tetrad in spacetime except Cartesian basis ?
since tetrad basis should be orthogonal (( In Lorentzian description ))and the only orthogonal basis is Cartesian ( the metric is (+1,-1,-1,-1 ) but in any other coordinate basis like Spherical metric is ( +1,-1,-r,-rsino ) and they aren't coordiante tetrad .

The tetrad refers to the coordinate basis vectors, rather than the coordinates. The 4 coordinate basis vectors for Spherical coordinates are all orthogonal to one another, as are the coordinate basis vectors for cylindrical coordinates. But, in cylindrical and spherical coordinates, some of the 3 spatial coordinate basis vectors vary with spatial location.

I know that but i mean are the only holonomic tetrad basis Cartesian basis ?
unit vector basis in spherical coordinate are tetrads but coordiante basis isn't .and the relations between tetrads and basis coordiante are :
e[itex]_{r}[/itex]=∂[itex]_{r}[/itex]
e[itex]_{\theta}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex]∂[itex]_{\theta}[/itex]
e[itex]_{\varphi}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{rsin\varphi}[/itex]∂[itex]_{\varphi}[/itex]
e[itex]_{0}[/itex]=∂[itex]_{r}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{∂}{∂t}[/itex]
and we can see those unit vectors have non vanishing Lie's bracket (( so they are anholonomic or non coordiante basis ))
so i thought the cartecian basis are the only the coordinate tetrads (( or holonomic tetrads ))