1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinate transformation and multiplying with size of J

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I am using the book "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig where I am reading on the transformation of coordinates - when changing from \int f(x,y) to \int f(v(x,y),v(x,y) it is necessary to multiply with the size of the jacobian, |J| - I cannot find the proof in the book and I don't quite understand why one should multiply with this?
    Any help or advise where to locate the proof in order to better understand the multiplication with the Jacobian.

Thanks in advance

Best

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if you google "Coordinate transformation multiple integrals", you get lots of hits :)

4. Feb 14, 2008 #3
    Hi,

So if I transform and the volume of the transform is preserved the size of |J| is one?

5. Feb 14, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. If you have a "parallelopiped" (3 d figure like a "tilted" retangle) formed from 3 vectors [itex]\vec{u}[/itex], [itex]\vec{v}[/itex], and [itex]\vec{w}[/itex], the volume is given by the length of the "triple" product [itex]\vec{u}\cdot(\vec{v}\times\vec{w})[/itex] which, in turn, can be calculated by the determinant having those vectors as rows. That's basically what the Jacobian is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?