Coordinate transformation: derivative of spherical coordinate with cartesian coordinate

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to coordinate transformation between spherical and Cartesian coordinates. The goal is to calculate the partial derivative of a vector with respect to z. The problem involves independent variables and a function with a constant value. The speaker is trying to solve a ray tracing problem and needs to be more explicit about the variables involved in order to find the partial derivative.
ytht100
I have the following equations:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l}
x = \sin \theta \cos \varphi \\
y = \sin \theta \cos \varphi \\
z = \cos \theta
\end{array} \right.[/tex]

Assume [tex]\vec r = (x,y,z)[/tex], which is a 1*3 vector. Obviously, x, y, and z are related to each other. Now I want to calculate [tex]\frac{{\partial \vec r}}{{\partial z}}[/tex], could you please tell me if you have any hint?

I have Googled the questions a lot with different terms but can't find an answer that I am sure of. Many thanks for your attention!

Attempt 1: The problem seems related to coordinate transformation between spherical and cartesian coordinates.

Attempt 2: The problem seems related to "The Cartesian partial derivatives in spherical coordinates" shown here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ytht100 said:
[tex]r = (x,y,z)[/tex], which is a 1*3 vector. Obviously, x, y, and z are related to each other. Now I want to calculate [tex]\frac{{\partial r}}{{\partial z}}[/tex]

First, you have:

##\vec{r} = (x, y, z)##

And

##r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}##

##x, y, z## are independent variables, so are unrelated to each other. But, both ##\vec{r}## and ##r## can be treated as functions of ##x, y, z## and differentiated.

PeroK said:
First, you have:

##\vec{r} = (x, y, z)##

And

##r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}##

##x, y, z## are independent variables, so are unrelated to each other. But, both ##\vec{r}## and ##r## can be treated as functions of ##x, y, z## and differentiated.

1, Thank you for reminding me to write [tex]{\vec r}[/tex] as vector, I have made revisions above.
However, x, y, and z are NOT independent variables, for example [tex]{x^2} + {y^2} + {z^2} = 1[/tex]. If they are independent, the problem is very easy because [tex]\frac{{d{\vec r}}}{{dz}} = \frac{{d(x,y,z)}}{{dz}} = (0,0,1)[/tex]
2, the physical problem at my hand tells me they are NOT independent.

Last edited:
which problem do you really solve? I am afraid the current statement merely does not make sense

Likes vanhees71
zwierz said:
which problem do you really solve? I am afraid the current statement merely does not make sense

I am trying to solve a ray tracing problem. That is all I can say. Other information may not appropriate on this forum. Could you please tell me which part doesn't make sense? Thank you very much!

the partial derivative by its definition uses some coordinate of a coordinate system. Coordinate system consists of independent coordinates

ytht100 said:
I am trying to solve a ray tracing problem. That is all I can say. Other information may not appropriate on this forum. Could you please tell me which part doesn't make sense? Thank you very much!

You effectively have a function of two independent variables, with ##r=1##. But, to get a partial derivative wrt ##z## you must be explicit about what the other variable is. For example, you could have:

##\vec{r} = (x, \sqrt{1-x^2-z^2}, z)## or ##\vec{r} = (\sqrt{1-y^2-z^2}, y, z)## or ##\vec{r} = (\sin \theta \cos \phi, \sin \theta \sin \phi, \cos \theta)## where ##z = \cos{\theta}##

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
You effectively have a function of two independent variables, with ##r=1##. But, to get a partial derivative wrt ##z## you must be explicit about what the other variable is. For example, you could have:

##\vec{r} = (x, \sqrt{1-x^2-z^2}, z)## or ##\vec{r} = (\sqrt{1-y^2-z^2}, y, z)## or ##\vec{r} = (\sin \theta \cos \phi, \sin \theta \sin \phi, \cos \theta)## where ##z = \cos{\theta}##

Thanks indeed! You clear up my mind!

1. What is coordinate transformation?

Coordinate transformation is the process of converting coordinates from one coordinate system to another. This is often necessary when working with different types of data or when different coordinate systems are used to describe the same object or location.

2. What is the derivative of spherical coordinates with respect to cartesian coordinates?

The derivative of spherical coordinates with respect to cartesian coordinates is a set of equations that describe how a point's coordinates change when moving from a spherical coordinate system to a cartesian coordinate system. These equations can be used to convert between the two coordinate systems.

3. How is the derivative of spherical coordinates calculated?

The derivative of spherical coordinates is calculated using the chain rule of calculus. This involves taking the partial derivatives of each coordinate with respect to the cartesian coordinates and combining them in a specific way to get the final equations for the derivative.

4. Why is coordinate transformation important in science?

Coordinate transformation is important in science because it allows researchers to work with data and information in different coordinate systems, making it easier to compare and analyze data from different sources. It also helps to simplify complex mathematical calculations and models.

5. Are there other types of coordinate transformations besides spherical to cartesian?

Yes, there are many other types of coordinate transformations in science. Some examples include cylindrical to cartesian, polar to cartesian, and geographic to projected coordinate systems. Each type of transformation is used for different purposes and can be applied in various scientific fields.