1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correspondence Principle

1. Aug 9, 2007 #1
    Hello.

I know about the correspondence principle which states that classical mechanics emerges from quantum mechanics as high quantum numbers are reached. I can see this for a particle in a box, but can this be mathematically justified for a general quantum system?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The moon is in a Bohr orbit of huge N.

4. Aug 9, 2007 #3
    Ok...I could see that. Perhaps I should rephrase my question. The correspondence principle as stated for simple quantum systems like a square well and a harmonic oscillator, in most books, is that for large quantum numbers, classical effects become apparent. I was just wondering whether we could generalize this principle mathematically (I know it sounds vague) or whether a more formal statement exists. But I guess not...its a principle after all and a physical principle.

5. Aug 9, 2007 #4
    the most direct way is to use the Heisenberg operator picture:

[tex]\frac{d <\Omega>}{dt} = \frac{i}{\hbar}<[\hat{H}, \hat{\Omega}]>[/tex]

and show that if omega is the position or momentum operators, that you get back (as an average) a form of newton's second law.

then construct the wavepacket. in the high temperature limit, the wavepacket approaches a delta function in position and momentum. the average above will then become exact.

this all assumes that there is no _explicit_ time dependence in your potential

yet an alternative demonstration of the bohr correspondence principle, is to consider the de Broglie thermal wavelength as a function of temperature. yet another is to look at the density matrix formulation of the partition function [tex]e^{- \beta \hat{H}}[/tex] and show that in the classical limit you get boltzmann statistics, etc.

(cant get the beta above to show up in the partition function)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?