Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Corruption is in our roots!

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1

tgt

It seems that a significant other is a large potential for corruption. i.e helping you do or get things that someone else will not do due to being illegal. This is most clear when they have a job but break the rules of conduct to help you achieve something. Being friends with someone has a lesser but similar effect. Hence we will never escape corruption. Corruption is to be human.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2
    I'm so glad you cleared that up.

4. Sep 15, 2008 #3

wolram

Gold Member

What, where , when, i tells you officer twas the other what done it.
    Now i feel guilty, i can not even remember where all these pens came from.

5. Sep 15, 2008 #4
    I had a Jerry Maguire moment recently myself. But because of the stares it generated, I'm afraid to share it again.

6. Sep 15, 2008 #5
    Sometimes, at night, when no one is listening I eat spaghetti.

7. Sep 15, 2008 #6
    This is true if we assume that human's aren't smart and which is true.
    Corruption elimination benefits all humans in long run but majority considers only self interests: which causes wars, crime, corruption ... overall loss to all humans.
    So, we aren't smart. We are so lost in our own-selves; we develop sense of possessions over other things etc, and there is no solution!

You can even get many examples from this forum indicating "I shouldn't be hurted and I don't care about others" concept.

8. Sep 16, 2008 #7
    Lay off the mushrooms.

9. Sep 16, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have corruption in your roots, maybe you should find a different hairdresser. :uhh: I have no idea what the OP is babbling about.

10. Sep 16, 2008 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought this was about Adam and Eve. :confused:

11. Sep 16, 2008 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps the op was suggesting that corruption is an extension of our survival instinct.

12. Sep 16, 2008 #11

I think it is. When I was a kid in Sunday school I was told we are all born sinners. :cool:

13. Sep 17, 2008 #12

tgt

Correct or it could be a part of our survival instinct.

14. Sep 17, 2008 #13

tgt

Wasn't on my mind.

15. Sep 17, 2008 #14

tgt

It isn't clear enough?

Maybe the last two sentences isn't but the others are self explanatory.

16. Sep 17, 2008 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope. None of it makes any sense. Look at the responses you go here...it's pretty clear nobody else is sure either.

17. Sep 17, 2008 #16
    I thought I knew what he's talking about.
    I must also be babbling then ..

18. Sep 17, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe it's because you're the source of corruption. :uhh:

19. Sep 17, 2008 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"It seems that a significant other is a large potential for corruption."

[​IMG]

"i.e helping you do or get things that someone else will not do due to being illegal."

I dunno. I think it kinda works.

20. Sep 17, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If your significant other is asking you to do illegal things, you need to find another other! :bugeye:

21. Sep 17, 2008 #20
    Lesseehere...

Because you have a close friend, that friend has some inclination to support your decision to do something, even if it is wrong or illegal. A mere friend is less likely to go that far. This is your idea of corruption, and as such, it is inherent in our nature.

Uh huh.

Okay. We all have some willingness to break rules. I jaywalk once in a while. I equate that to a fair ride. It's a little bit fun. So will just about everyone else break rules to some extent. -Well, maybe not exactly what I do. I think you're describing an under-the-cover negotiation. We want or need something, but the stinkin rules are in our way. Ah hah! We have a friend who is willing to take some risk with us and help us out! I'll remember this and return the favor some day. And wouldn't you know, this is one measure of friendship. So, maybe it's also a way of gauging loyalties and trust.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?