Is Corruption an Inherent Part of Human Nature?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary: We want what we can't have, but the person holding the object of our desire makes it difficult.In summary, because of a significant other, corruption is a part of our nature. But, because it is inherent in us, we will never escape it.
tgt
It seems that a significant other is a large potential for corruption. i.e helping you do or get things that someone else will not do due to being illegal. This is most clear when they have a job but break the rules of conduct to help you achieve something. Being friends with someone has a lesser but similar effect. Hence we will never escape corruption. Corruption is to be human.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm so glad you cleared that up.

What, where , when, i tells you officer twas the other what done it.
Now i feel guilty, i can not even remember where all these pens came from.

I had a Jerry Maguire moment recently myself. But because of the stares it generated, I'm afraid to share it again.

Sometimes, at night, when no one is listening I eat spaghetti.

tgt said:
It seems that a significant other is a large potential for corruption. i.e helping you do or get things that someone else will not do due to being illegal. This is most clear when they have a job but break the rules of conduct to help you achieve something. Being friends with someone has a lesser but similar effect. Hence we will never escape corruption. Corruption is to be human.

This is true if we assume that human's aren't smart and which is true.
Corruption elimination benefits all humans in long run but majority considers only self interests: which causes wars, crime, corruption ... overall loss to all humans.
So, we aren't smart. We are so lost in our own-selves; we develop sense of possessions over other things etc, and there is no solution!

You can even get many examples from this forum indicating "I shouldn't be hurted and I don't care about others" concept.

tgt said:

Lay off the mushrooms.

If you have corruption in your roots, maybe you should find a different hairdresser. :uhh: I have no idea what the OP is babbling about.

I thought this was about Adam and Eve. :confused:

Perhaps the op was suggesting that corruption is an extension of our survival instinct.

Math Is Hard said:

I think it is. When I was a kid in Sunday school I was told we are all born sinners. :cool:

Ivan Seeking said:
Perhaps the op was suggesting that corruption is an extension of our survival instinct.

Correct or it could be a part of our survival instinct.

Math Is Hard said:

Wasn't on my mind.

Moonbear said:
I have no idea what the OP is babbling about.

It isn't clear enough?

Maybe the last two sentences isn't but the others are self explanatory.

tgt said:
It isn't clear enough?

Maybe the last two sentences isn't but the others are self explanatory.

Nope. None of it makes any sense. Look at the responses you go here...it's pretty clear nobody else is sure either.

I thought I knew what he's talking about.
I must also be babbling then ..

rootX said:
I thought I knew what he's talking about.
I must also be babbling then ..

Maybe it's because you're the source of corruption. :uhh:

"It seems that a significant other is a large potential for corruption."

http://www.courtauld.ac.uk/GALLERY/exhibitions/2007/cranach/adam-eve5.jpg

"i.e helping you do or get things that someone else will not do due to being illegal."

I dunno. I think it kinda works.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your significant other is asking you to do illegal things, you need to find another other! :bugeye:

tgt said:

Lesseehere...

Because you have a close friend, that friend has some inclination to support your decision to do something, even if it is wrong or illegal. A mere friend is less likely to go that far. This is your idea of corruption, and as such, it is inherent in our nature.

Uh huh.

Okay. We all have some willingness to break rules. I jaywalk once in a while. I equate that to a fair ride. It's a little bit fun. So will just about everyone else break rules to some extent. -Well, maybe not exactly what I do. I think you're describing an under-the-cover negotiation. We want or need something, but the stinkin rules are in our way. Ah hah! We have a friend who is willing to take some risk with us and help us out! I'll remember this and return the favor some day. And wouldn't you know, this is one measure of friendship. So, maybe it's also a way of gauging loyalties and trust.

Moonbear said:
If your significant other is asking you to do illegal things, you need to find another other! :bugeye:

Because Nelson Mandela did it?

Did Gandhi also broke some laws but for sure he was a trouble :rolleyes:

[Only illegal things, I don't think we would call them corrupt .. or maybe they were]

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
"It seems that a significant other is a large potential for corruption."

http://www.courtauld.ac.uk/GALLERY/exhibitions/2007/cranach/adam-eve5.jpg

"i.e helping you do or get things that someone else will not do due to being illegal."

I dunno. I think it kinda works.

Ah yes the fig leaf syndrome.:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:

I was only referring to them doing illegal things for you.

I remember there was a movie about a female police officer falling in love with a male prisoner and ended up helping him escape prison. What was the movie called?

tgt said:
I was only referring to them doing illegal things for you.
How is that different?

I remember there was a movie about a female police officer falling in love with a male prisoner and ended up helping him escape prison. What was the movie called?

You do realize that movies are FICTION, right? That means they are made up for the sake of entertainment, not because they are true or reflect reality. Someone who starts dating a prisoner already has a screw loose.

I thought money was the root of all evil. Now, I read it's significant others (In my case a woman). :uhh: Of course it could be true:

Mathematic proof that Women are evil

first, we state that women require time and money:

Women = time * money

...and as we all know, "time is money":

Time = Money

...and therefore:

Women = Money * Money = (Money)^2

...and because "Money is the root of all evil":

Money = sqrt(evil)

...therefore:

Women = (sqrt[evil])^2

...and we are forced to conclude that:

Women = Evil

Hey, the math is right. wow. It really is true.

tribdog said:
Hey, the math is right. wow. It really is true.
Yup. Math don't lie.

1. What is corruption?

Corruption is the misuse of power or authority for personal gain. It involves dishonesty, bribery, and unethical behavior.

2. Is corruption found in all societies?

Yes, corruption is found in all societies, although the extent and types of corruption may vary. It is not limited to any specific culture, religion, or political system.

3. Is corruption an inherent part of human nature?

There is no clear answer to this question as it is a complex issue. Some argue that certain human traits, such as greed and self-interest, make corruption inevitable. Others believe that external factors, such as societal norms and institutions, play a larger role in promoting or deterring corruption.

4. How does corruption impact society?

Corruption can have serious negative effects on society. It can undermine trust in government and institutions, hinder economic growth and development, and perpetuate social inequalities. It also erodes the rule of law and can lead to human rights violations.

5. Can corruption be eliminated?

While it may not be possible to completely eliminate corruption, efforts can be made to reduce its prevalence and impact. This can include implementing strict laws and enforcement measures, promoting transparency and accountability, and promoting ethical leadership and values. Education and awareness about the consequences of corruption can also play a role in combatting it.