1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cos x and Sin x

1. Mar 11, 2007 #1
    I have been asked to differentiate cos x and six....the maclaurin series versions...

I have done the general and specific terms as shown below.

Im not sure if these are correct?
    thanks

General Terms
    cos x = ∑ (-1)n (x^(2n) / (2n)!)

COS x = ∑ (-1)n (x^(2n+1)/ (2n +1) / (2n)!)

sin x = ∑ (-1)n (x^(2n+1) / (2n+1)!)

‘sin x = ∑ (-1)n (((2n+1) x^(2n))/ (2n+1)!)

Specific Terms
    sin x = x – (x^3 / 3!) + (x^5 / 5!) – (x^7 / 7!) + (x^9 / 9!) - …
    ‘sin x = 1 – (3x^2 / 3!) + (5x^4 / 5!) - (7x^6 / 7!) + (9x^8 / 9!) - …

cos x = 1 – (x^2 / 2!) + (x^4 / 4!) – (x^6 / 6!) + (x^8 / 8!) - …
    COS x = x – (x^3 / 3 / 2!) + (x^5 / 5 / 4!) – (x^7 / 7 / 6!) + (x^9 / 9 / 8!) - …
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

You already posted the same thing else where, learn what the factorial actually means! Then you can simplify yours derivatives and realize what your not realizing right now!

4. Mar 11, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You know to use "^" to indicate exponent of the "x"- use for the exponent on (-1) also: (-1)^n. Obviously "cos x" can't be equal to both of these. Do you mean cos' x? Also A/B/C, at best, ambiguous. Do you mean
    ((x^(2n+1)/(2n+1))/(2n)! or (x^(2n+1))/((2n+1)/(2n)!)?

Finally, if you are differentiating as you say, you are "going the wrong way"! The derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1), not (1/(n+1)) x^(n+1).

5. Mar 11, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

It looks to me the cos x in capitals is the integral of cos x in normal...

6. Mar 12, 2007 #5
    yeh COS x is the integral of cos x....i meant integral of cos x and derivative of sin x...sorry for the confusion.

I have realised how to simplify 'sin x so that it equals cos x....but i am not sure how to simplify the integral of cos x to equal sin x.

COS x = x – (x^3 / 3 / 2!) + (x^5 / 5 / 4!) – (x^7 / 7 / 6!) + (x^9 / 9 / 8!)
    = ?

any idea? and on the subject...what is the notation for the integral of cos x...I have used COS x but this is obviously incorrect.
    thanks...

7. Mar 12, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Take your second term...if you don't see the arithmetic, don't try this level of math yet, [tex]\frac{\frac{x^3}{3}}{2!} =\frac{x^3}{3\cdot2!} = \frac{x^3}{3!}[/tex].

I didn't take into account the sign of the integral, but you get what i mean.

To learn how to type the math graphics im typing, click on the images I make appear. That will tell you what i typed to get that. Or at least say, "Integral of.."...

8. Mar 12, 2007 #7
    I understand exactly what you have done.
    How would it be done for the general terms is my bigger problem

9. Mar 12, 2007 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Good
    [tex]\cos x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} -1^n \frac{x^{2n}}{2n!}[/tex]

Integrate every term in the sum, with respect to x. In every individual term, n is constant.

So

[tex]\int\cos x dx= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} -1^n \frac{\frac{x^{2n+1}}{2n+1}}{2n!}[/tex]

(2n+1)2n!=(2n+1)!,

therefore it simplifies to

[tex]\int\cos x dx= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} -1^n \frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex], which is exactly your series for sin x.

10. Mar 12, 2007 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just one comment: it would be far better to write
    [tex]\int\cos x dx= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n \frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex]
    with parentheses around the -1. I would be inclined to interpret -1n as -(1n) which, of course, would be just -1!

11. Mar 12, 2007 #10

Gib Z

Homework Helper

O yes i guess i would too, if someone else wrote that..thanks

12. Mar 12, 2007 #11
    Thanks gents

13. Mar 12, 2007 #12

Gib Z

Homework Helper

No Problem, and welcome to PF

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?