Is the Cosmic Microwave Background an Absolute Frame of Reference?

In summary, the cosmic microwave background may be a candidate for an absolute frame of reference. However, the idea has not received much credence due to the fact that the CMB does not define a unique or absolute frame.
mrcotton
I heard sometime ago that the cosmic microwave background may be a candidate for an absolute frame of reference. Did this idea ever get any credence?

Physics news on Phys.org
The cosmic microwave background radiation doesn't even define a single inertial frame, let alone an absolute one.

In a sense it does.

Suppose CMB has no fluctuations. Then the CMB defines a unique frame by demanding that all observed multipoles (except for the monopole) vanish.

tom.stoer said:
Then the CMB defines a unique frame by demanding that all observed multipoles (except for the monopole) vanish.
That isn't a unique frame. That is a different frame for every location in the universe, all moving wrt each other.

That is my point, the CMB doesn't even define a unique frame, let alone an absolute frame. It is simply an idea that is "dead on arrival".

OK, I agree, the CMB defines a global principle to uniquely fix a family of local reference frames.

We touched on this subject some time ago in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=664897&highlight=moving+relative+cosmic

Look around starting at about post #15 for discussion and references

From the CMB data it is seen that our local group of galaxies (the galactic cluster that includes the Solar System's Milky Way Galaxy) appears to be moving at 627±22 km/s relative to the reference frame of the CMB (also called the CMB rest frame, or the frame of reference in which there is no motion through the CMB) in the direction of galactic longitude l = 276±3°, b = 30±3°.[66] This motion results in an anisotropy of the data (CMB appearing slightly warmer in the direction of movement than in the opposite direction).[67] The standard interpretation of this temperature variation is a simple velocity red shift and blue shift due to motion relative to the CMB

So, it seems as if they are implying an absolute reference frame, or one global static frame that sits relative to our local group at least, by the detection of a doppler shift in these galaxies. But what constitues that rest frame?

Suppose CMB has no fluctuations. Then the CMB defines a unique frame by demanding that all observed multipoles (except for the monopole) vanish.

tom.stoer, can you eaborate on this? I'm not sure I understand what multipoles are.

Is the idea that, as the universe expands, it leaves in its wake a "signature" of its expansion? This being the CMB radiation. Say the analogy being like you blow up a balloon, and at each infinitesimal expansion in the radius you leave a marker of where the surface of the sphere just was, such that the volume of the balloon has a record of these, in a sense, absolute intertial reference points that continue to accumulate as the radius of the balloon expands?

How would these reference points be manifested in the case of our universe and the CMBR? Is this where the multipoles come in?

DiracPool said:
We touched on this subject some time ago in this thread:So, it seems as if they are implying an absolute reference frame, or one global static frame that sits relative to our local group at least, by the detection of a doppler shift in these galaxies. But what constitues that rest frame?

This has already been answered once:
DaleSpam said:
That isn't a unique frame. That is a different frame for every location in the universe, all moving wrt each other.

That is my point, the CMB doesn't even define a unique frame, let alone an absolute frame. It is simply an idea that is "dead on arrival".

I think that the answer is already pretty clear, but let me repeat it just in case.

At any given event (or point) in space-time, the CMB does single out one particular local frame. This local frame, is still local, it's not a "global frame".

The reason why it's not a global frame is the fact that a different frame is singled out at different points - in particular, the local frames singled out in this manner are all moving with respect to one another (as one varies the selection point).

In some sense, CMB defines a preferred coordinate system. Objects at rest in the CMB define cosmological time, and cosmological time defines a preferred set of spatial slices.

However, the resulting set of coordinates is not a "frame" of reference in the sense that is meant by SR. One needs to use GR with these cosmological coordinates. The metric that is associated with (one can even say the metric that defines) these coordinates is the Friedmann–Lemaître–Robertson–Walker (FLRW) metric.

The FLRW metric is common, and useful, but it's not a "frame" in the technical sense used by SR, you can't deal with it by the methods of SR. The fundamental reason behind this is that the metric has underlying curvature (at least in any universe with matter, and without matter it's rather hard to imagine how one would verify the cosmological principle that's underlying the whole discussion).

DiracPool said:
tom.stoer, can you eaborate on this? I'm not sure I understand what multipoles are.
First of all let me say that there is no rest frame w.r.t. CMB b/c CMB is light-like.

The idea is the following: in a homogeneous and isotropic universe, CMB should also be homogeneous and isotropic. But any motion (w.r.t. to a locally defined sphere from which the CMB is received) may create anisotropies of the CMB on the celestial sphere, which can be expanded in multipoles (this is what they are doing when analyzing the Planck data). The zeroth multipole = the monopole is nothing else but the averaged CMB. The second multipole = the dipole measures nothing else but the motion w.r.t. CMB-frame (the above mentioned sphere). So in a sense one can always try to find a frame where the dipole vanishes, and interpret this as a unique reference frame (but as said this has to be done locally, so there is not just one such frame, but a family of such frames, one for each spacetime point - neglecting trivial rotations). Higher multipoles i.e. fluctuations will vanish due to isotropy.

What is cosmic microwave background?

Cosmic microwave background (CMB) is a form of electromagnetic radiation that permeates the entire universe. It is the remnant of the Big Bang and is often referred to as the "echo" of the universe's creation. CMB is the oldest light in the universe, dating back to about 380,000 years after the Big Bang.

How was cosmic microwave background discovered?

The existence of CMB was first predicted by physicist George Gamow in the 1940s. It was then accidentally discovered in 1964 by radio astronomers Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson, who were studying radio waves in the universe. They found a mysterious noise that seemed to come from all directions, which turned out to be the CMB.

What does cosmic microwave background tell us about the universe?

CMB provides crucial insights into the early universe, including its age, composition, and expansion rate. By studying the fluctuations in the CMB, scientists can also learn about the distribution of matter and energy in the universe, and how structures like galaxies and clusters of galaxies formed.

How is cosmic microwave background measured?

CMB is measured using specialized instruments called microwave telescopes. These telescopes are designed to detect and measure the faint microwaves that make up the CMB. The most famous of these instruments is the Cosmic Background Explorer (COBE), which was launched by NASA in 1989.

What are the implications of cosmic microwave background for the Big Bang theory?

The discovery of CMB was a major piece of evidence supporting the Big Bang theory, which states that the universe began as a hot, dense, and rapidly expanding point about 13.8 billion years ago. The existence and properties of CMB align with the predictions of the theory, further solidifying its validity as the most widely accepted explanation for the origin of the universe.