GCR Spectrum Peak Energy: 1-10 GeV/nucleon | Source

In summary, the peak energy of the Galactic Cosmic Ray (GCR) spectrum is believed to be in the 1-10 GeV/nucleon range. A source for this information is the page [PLAIN]www.ngst.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/pubdownload?Id=649[/URL]. However, this data only shows the particle count through 1.27 mm of Aluminum, so further research is needed to confirm the actual peak of the GCR. Some suggested sources for this information are Gaisser's book and Stecker, or the references cited by Stecker. Additional help on this topic would be appreciated.
Norman
Does anyone know the peak(or the energy at which the flux is the greatest) of the GCR spectrum? And a quotable source for that. I am pretty sure it is in the 1-10 GeV/nucleon range.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This page says thaty the GCR (Galactic cosmic Ray) spectrum peaks near 300 MeV
www.ngst.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/pubdownload?Id=649[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually that data seems to be the particle count through 1.27 mm of Aluminum. Although I am trying to look up their reference for it. So it appears that I am still trying to find what the actual peak of the GCR is. In Gaisser's book he has a couple of plots but I am trying to verify them to myself since they are slightly misleading I think.
So if anyone can offer some more help I would appreciate it.
Cheers

1. What is GCR Spectrum Peak Energy?

GCR stands for galactic cosmic rays, which are high-energy particles that originate from outside of our solar system. Spectrum peak energy refers to the point on a graph where the highest number of particles are detected at a specific energy level. In this case, the energy level is 1-10 GeV/nucleon, meaning gigaelectronvolts per nucleon.

2. What is the significance of 1-10 GeV/nucleon in GCR Spectrum Peak Energy?

The range of 1-10 GeV/nucleon is significant because it represents the energy level at which the galactic cosmic rays have the highest abundance. This energy range is also important for understanding the origins and propagation of these particles.

3. What is the source of GCR Spectrum Peak Energy?

The source of GCR Spectrum Peak Energy is still a topic of research and debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that these particles are produced by supernovae, while others propose that they come from active galactic nuclei or even the Big Bang. Further research is needed to determine the exact source of GCRs.

4. How is GCR Spectrum Peak Energy measured?

GCR Spectrum Peak Energy is typically measured using detectors such as particle accelerators or satellite instruments. These detectors are able to detect and measure the energy levels of individual particles, allowing scientists to create a spectrum of the energy distribution of GCRs.

5. What is the importance of studying GCR Spectrum Peak Energy?

Studying GCR Spectrum Peak Energy is important for understanding the composition and behavior of galactic cosmic rays, which have implications for space exploration and human health. It also provides insights into the origins and evolution of our universe.