Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmological constant as a perfect fluid

1. Feb 1, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone,

If anyone could point me in the right direction with this problem I'd really appreciate it.

"Show that the cosmological constant can be interpreted as a perfect fluid having an equation of state w=-1."

I have a rough idea of how to do the second part of the proof: if the cosmological constant can be interpreted as a perfect fluid then

ρ(dot)+3(a(dot)/a)(ρ+P)=0 (conservation equation)=>ρ+P=0 due to the continuity of a perfect fluid.

But how do I show that it can be interpreted as a perfect fluid?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2008 #2
    My guess is if you can show that everything works the same if you interpret it as a perfect fluid and do your magic (whatever you just did), then you just showed that it can be interpreted that way.

What I mean is, you make the guess that it can, do some math, and if everything works out the same, then your assumption is valid.

4. Feb 1, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If w=(-1) for a perfect fluid then rho+p=0. So by the conservation equation rho(dot)=0. Hence it's a constant. A 'cosmological constant'. Perhaps I don't understand the question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?