Finding Equilibrium Forces: Are My Vector Calculations Correct?

• Thread starter IGeekbot
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses vector problems in an intro to physics class. The first problem involves finding the third force exerted on an object in equilibrium with two known forces. The solution is found using sine and cosine laws, resulting in a force of 74.3N at 253 degrees. The second problem involves finding the sixth force that puts an object in equilibrium with five known forces. By using the sum of all forces equaling zero and applying trigonometric laws, the force is found to be 33.97N at 43 degrees from the positive x-axis. There is also a clarification on the direction of the force in the second problem.
IGeekbot
Ok, I am in an intro to physics, so it is all trig based. But I just need to know if I did these vector problems right.

an object in equilibrium has 3 forces exerted on it. one at 90 degress is 33N, one at 60 degrees is 44N. Find the third.

Using the sine and cosine of those vectors, i got the thrid force to be 74.3N at 253 degrees. Is that right?

ANd the other one is: five forces act on an object, the first is 60N at 90 degrees, the second is 40N at o degrees, the third is 80N at 270 degrees, te fourth is 50N at 60 degrees, and the fifth is 40N at 180 degrees. what's the sixth force that puts the object in equilibrium?

I know that the 2 40N forces cancel, so i just found the vertical and horizontal force of the other three forces. Then after using more sin and cos laws, and

Fnet6^2 =Fnetx^2 + Fnety^2

I got the force should be 33.97N, and using tanget, it should be at 43 degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi IGeekBot,

The first answer is correct. (Actually 74.4 N)

For the second, it should be at 223 degrees (180+43 degrees), watch the signs.
Since the sum of all forces is zero (equilibrium), you have:
[tex]F_6^2+F_{netx}^2+F_{nety}^2=0[/tex].
([itex]F_{netx}[/itex] and [itex]F_{nety}[/itex] do not include [itex]F_6[/itex])
The magnitude is 34.17 N. Be careful not to round off in intermediary stages of the calculation.

The first one is correct but for the seond one, i got 34.2 N at 223 degree from the positive x axis.

Last edited:
thanks, our teacher is a bit hazy sometimes, and it sems th ewhole group was lost on this.

1. What does it mean when someone asks, "Could someone check me?"

When someone asks this question, they are usually asking for someone to review or double-check their work or calculations. It is a way of ensuring accuracy and avoiding mistakes.

2. Why is it important for someone to check your work?

Having someone else check your work can help catch any errors or mistakes that you may have missed. It also provides a fresh perspective and can offer helpful insights or suggestions.

3. Who should you ask to check your work?

You can ask anyone you trust and who has the knowledge or expertise in the subject matter. It could be a colleague, a mentor, or a peer.

4. How should you ask someone to check your work?

It is important to be respectful and specific when asking someone to check your work. Clearly explain what you need help with and thank them for their time and assistance.

5. How can you return the favor when someone checks your work?

One way to return the favor is to offer to check their work in the future or to provide feedback and constructive criticism on their work. You can also express your gratitude and thank them for their help.